easily editing back much earlier deletions

Started by Papou, August 11, 2021, 08:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papou

Would this AviDemux improvement be easy enough to enable changing one's mind about a much earlier deletion?
- A function to invert the display of the kept and deleted sequences.
- While deleted sequences are displayed, a function to recover one (it disappears, it's deleted from deletions).
- And, of course, a return to kept sequences.
The recovery can be of one sequence one remembers or that appears to makes no sense without it.
Easily found because the cursor remains in the same position.
But the whole process can be used as a last chance "are you sure about all those deletions?"

Note: presently the only way to recover but the last few deletions is to edit the list in *.py.
But that's difficult because that list is by frame numbers while frame times are displayed.
This is why I once suggested that both numbers and times should be displayed, or at least a function to convert times to numbers.
This is like the left/right window close button war. I wrote a suggestion that putting it on *both* (not any) sides would stop the war and make the search for the setting unnecessary. One (1) person signaled that "they" agreed.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Papou on August 11, 2021, 08:41:05 PM- While deleted sequences are displayed, a function to recover one (it disappears, it's deleted from deletions).

This fully equates to time travel to fix one's past life. Any branching from an earlier point of linear sequence of events completely invalidates the sequence.

Quote from: Papou on August 11, 2021, 08:41:05 PMThis is why I once suggested that both numbers and times should be displayed, or at least a function to convert times to numbers.

There is none other than feeding the video stream to decoder and counting successfully decoded pictures.

Papou

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 11, 2021, 10:08:06 PM
Quote from: Papou on August 11, 2021, 08:41:05 PM- While deleted sequences are displayed, a function to recover one (it disappears, it's deleted from deletions).

This fully equates to time travel to fix one's past life. Any branching from an earlier point of linear sequence of events completely invalidates the sequence.

Could be. But the following might be simpler to understand.
Suppose that the complete deletions list is maintained of deleted sequences in time order.
Suppose the cursor is positioned where a sequence was deleted. Suppose the function is used to switch the display to deletions list with the cursor behind that deleted sequence. Then, deleting that sequence and returning to normal display will have undeleted that sequence.
I find this a simple but great feature.

Note: I initially figured that the deletions list is the holes in the normal list. But that's not true if sequences were moved about.

DataMeister

Since Avidemux doesn't keep a full video in memory, it has to have an edit list in order to render out the final copy.

A simple history panel of any edits could also work without major work on the timeline. Find the time stamp you want reverted, maybe it could even allow previewing that section, and tell it to remove that action (put that section of the clip back).