News:

--

Main Menu

Running Slow Far Less Than Full Load

Started by Dave9, August 30, 2021, 08:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: knosso2919 on September 17, 2021, 08:09:44 AMIs the VA-API/VDPAU support in linux enabled by default on all architectures (ARMHF, ARM64, x64) or there needs to be some compiling?

Anything not x86_64 is entirely untested on my part and as there are no official binaries for other architectures, you have to rely on third-party builds or compile yourself (which is always the recommended way to get Avidemux). Native VDPAU for video decoding and display, the only one which makes sense, requires an NVIDIA graphics card with very recent NVIDIA binary Linux drivers.

VA-API is tested and works +/- fine with Intel graphics, has some issues and limitations with AMD / amdgpu.

For ARM (Raspberry Pi), no video acceleration is available, especially none for display, which should severely impact the performance of the GUI.

Regarding scripting, you cannot use internal tinyPy scripting for recursive listing of folder content. You need to use external scripting for that (any you like) which should invoke Avidemux (if it should be Avidemux rather than a dedicated command-line utility like ffmpeg) on command line. Of course, you can and should mix external and internal scripting, this is not a problem.

knosso2919

Thanks for the clarification. At this point it makes sense for me to sit down and learn how to use avidemux and ffmpeg from the terminal to then make an easy and possibly interactive bash script that invokes avidemux.

I'll eventually make another post about it and about compilation if needed in order to not clog this one. 

Have a good day.

alexstorm

What about using a different drive to write to for the encoded result?  Don't use the same drive to read and write.  Video editors always do this and we even keep a separate drive for audio components, which wouldn't apply in this case.