Path for index file - converting dvd collection

Started by BrGD, November 06, 2021, 12:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrGD

Dear All,
as I am new here, I first want to thank all for the great program!

Actually I have a question, where the solution would save me a lot of time.

If I read a "vob" of a film Avidemux creates a "idx2". And this is done in the same folder as the "vob".
I am converting my DVD-collection and this means that I have to copy first all DVD to a harddisc, because "idx2" cannot be written to the DVD.

I have more than 500 DVD!

Would it be possible to define a special path for "idx2" anywhere?

I am looking forward to your help!
Best regards
Gerhard

eumagga0x2a

Unless your DVD collection is special in the sense that you are fine with losing chapters and subtitles, you are much better off using a dedicated tool for your task – Handbrake.

Regarding Avidemux index files for MPEG streams, storing .idx2 at a different location than the file containing the stream is currently not supported. It would be also a non-trivial task to implement (matching index file to source, performing cleanup of stale files etc.). An easier path would be not creating index files in the first place when we detect that the source location in read-only, maybe combined with a warning that the source will need to be re-indexed each time it is loaded.

Regardless of a future solution for read-only VOB files, I think that copying them to a harddisk before processing is generally a good idea as reading off optical media is order of magnitude slower than reading from a harddisk. Don't forget excessive optical drive wear (copying is mostly linear with few seeks, editing / processing may require a lot of seeks increasing wear).