Avidemux 2.8.1 - latest dev version thread

Started by szlldm, January 25, 2022, 11:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butterw

v2.8 changelog: Timestamps in format 00:00:00.000 like copied to clipboard by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+C can be pasted into the "Go to Time" dialog using CTRL+V.

[Issue with 30fps video !!!]
Copy frame pts 00:00:06.033 and paste into "Go to time" dialog >> seeks to the previous frame 00:00:06.000
if I change to 00:00:06.034 it seeks to the correct frame.

szlldm

Quote from: butterw on July 01, 2022, 12:25:52 AMUp/down Arrows also do not intuitively suggest Open/Save to me
How does a "floppy disc", an obsolete technology - unknown since the last century/millenium - suggest better  ;D ?

butterw

With big shiny arrows pointing in every direction, I got confused. ;)

IMO it would be best to provide users with the option to use the old icon set, unless there is reason why this approach is entirely unrealistic.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: butterw on July 01, 2022, 12:58:32 AMCopy frame pts 00:00:06.033 and paste into "Go to time" dialog >> seeks to the previous frame 00:00:06.000

I agree that this is counter-intuitive, but not more than that :-)

butterw

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on July 01, 2022, 06:36:03 PM
Quote from: butterw on July 01, 2022, 12:58:32 AMCopy frame pts 00:00:06.033 and paste into "Go to time" dialog >> seeks to the previous frame 00:00:06.000

I agree that this is counter-intuitive, but not more than that :-)

Not being able to reliably seek to the correct frame in a video editing program is a serious flaw.

"Go to time" rounding/seeking to previous frame
- seeks OK with 25fps videos.
- with 30fps, once every 3 frames it gets the frame correct...
- with ntsc, you almost always get the previous frame instead.

Either the pts needs to be output/entered with microsecond precision for this to work, or the "Go to Time" needs to be able to figure out the correct frame.

butterw

[GUI suggestion] Add a tooltip on the thumb slider, because it is not obvious how to use it: "fast-forward with mouse wheel".

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: butterw on July 01, 2022, 08:38:00 PMEither the pts needs to be output/entered with microsecond precision for this to work, or the "Go to Time" needs to be able to figure out the correct frame.

As Avidemux always rounds down timestamps shown in the time display, I have to agree that the result of a cycle "Ctrl+Shift+C" --> "Ctrl+T" --> "Ctrl+V" --> "Return" indeed looks bad if timestamps are not an exact multiple of a millisecond. Fixed in the code a couple of days ago.

Quote from: butterw on July 06, 2022, 08:35:35 AMAdd a tooltip on the thumb slider, because it is not obvious how to use it: "fast-forward with mouse wheel".

This is actually not the way how to use it. The main way of operation is to grab the slider and keep it deflected from the neutral position to seek backward or forward, then release. However, two years ago I added the ability to deflect it using mouse wheel, just because I felt it to be counter-intuitive that you could not do it.

A tooltip would be almost always triggered during normal operation of thumb slider. This would be very annoying, IMHO.

butterw

I was thinking the interface tooltips should time-out after maybe 2s. But I agree these tooltips can be a hinderance, and also that they are not well suited for long text.
With regards to the thumb slider and how to use the interface, some basic updated user instructions are needed and should be available via the help menu together with the release notes/changelog. There are only a couple things that aren't obvious IMO (ex: how to use the thumb slider to fast forward, Ctrl-V in Go to Time, the MarkerB frame isn't saved now, etc.).

[Thumb slider control]
It takes 9 scrolls for me to reach max speed on the thumb slider, so I did assume something was wrong. At the same time holding the mouse button for longer periods of time can be tiring. How about using the right mouse button click on the thumb slider for a set and hold option ?

szlldm

eumagga0x2a

The main changes since the previous official nightly build from July 20:

• A button to open HDR tone mapper configuration dialog added to toolbar, visible when such conversion is applicable
  • Peak memory footprint of the internal RubberBand library reduced
  • pal2film and film2pal audio filters rolled back to the old implementation (faster)
  • The logo image in "Add logo" video filter has been made draggable
  • Buttons to seek to the start and to the end of selection added to on-the-fly preview of video filters

szlldm

New nightly 220903
-Audio stretch use new library (soundtouch), providing better quality
-OpenGL acceleration in filter previews

UNKNOWN

Hi, latest 2 Nightly versions are with this error when open, sorry for my english, i'm Spanish:

Note: Deleted user name and others directories from image at latest Windows 10 Pro X64.

Possible fix? Thanks in advanced.

This are the Buids i'm comment with same problem;

https://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/avidemux_r220802_win64Qt5_141.zip
https://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/avidemux_r220903_win64Qt5_142.zip

eumagga0x2a

You have installed into (or over) a directory which contained files (the obsolete "horizontalFlip" video filter) from older versions. Please make sure you never mix files from different versions or compiler types (i.e. never mix VC++ and MinGW binaries).

UNKNOWN

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on September 04, 2022, 02:03:31 PMYou have installed into (or over) a directory which contained files (the obsolete "horizontalFlip" video filter) from older versions. Please make sure you never mix files from different versions or compiler types (i.e. never mix VC++ and MinGW binaries).

Hi, only decompress at same directory of older version from July. Now deleted and create new directory with latest version and solved. Thanks for advise.

eumagga0x2a

Here are the nightly builds for all supported 64-bit platforms, which were built on different days but from the very same code (square brackets around the period between basename and extension serve the purpose to fool the forum software which else would interpret them as URLs):

These nightlies are as close to being Release Candidates as only possible – it is high time to report regressions which evaded discovery so far.