News:

--

Main Menu

How to use the sharpening filter/tool ?

Started by satimis, February 23, 2022, 04:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satimis

Hi all,

Avidemux is new to me.  I just have Avidemux 2.8.0 installed on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04.

I expect learning how to use its sharpening tools to enhance the quality of my old videos. 

The videos were captured on V8 tapes in about 1990 and later duplicated on VHS tapes with background music added and some minor editing. The video worked without problem on CRT monitor before. 

Recently I sent one VHS tape to a profession shop ripping it on DVD.  Then I download the video from DVD to computer as .vob files.  On the whole the video is not bad, of course unable compared to 4K video.  But the video captured indoor is not very clear, not sharp. 

I have the .vob file upgraded as follow:-
Resolution 1920x1080
Bitrade 256
Frame rate 25 fps

There is some improvement, but the indoor picture still not sharp on the whole.
(pls refer to attached screenshot.png)

Please guide me how to apply the sharpening filter of Avidemux to enhance the quality of the video.  Where can I find relevant tutorial?

Thanks in advance.

Besides can I upload a short video clip here?

Regards
satimis

szlldm

First you have to select an encoder at Video Output (x264 or x265 recommended). Configure it (or leave the default settings).
Then open Filters. Select category Sharpness. Then for the probably best results select Wavelet sharpener.
Adjust Strength to what you find the best. Then adjust Radius as well. If the sharpening has overamplified noise/blocking, try to reduce them with the Noise cutoff.
You can always compare the result to the original, by clicking the Peek original button (unfiltered image shown until the button is pressed).
Accept the filter, then save the video.

satimis

Quote from: szlldm on February 23, 2022, 08:47:12 PMFirst you have to select an encoder at Video Output (x264 or x265 recommended). Configure it (or leave the default settings).
Then open Filters. Select category Sharpness. Then for the probably best results select Wavelet sharpener.
Adjust Strength to what you find the best. Then adjust Radius as well. If the sharpening has overamplified noise/blocking, try to reduce them with the Noise cutoff.
You can always compare the result to the original, by clicking the Peek original button (unfiltered image shown until the button is pressed).
Accept the filter, then save the video.
Hi szlldm,

Thanks for your advice.  Performed following steps on Avidemux running on Win 10.

Start Avidemux

File -> Open
Select Video file -> may_home_1_1920x1080auto.vob

Popup following screen;
screenshot-01

properties of the video
(see - screenshot_properties)

Video Output
-> You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.Mpeg4 AVC (x264)

-> Filters -> Sharpness
select -> Wavelet sharpener
popup another screen
see -> screenshot-02

Strength - 0.39
Radius - 1.08
Noise cutoff - 0.00 (seeming no effect)
[check] High quality
-> OK

File -> Save
I saved it to another filename.

It seems to me not much improvement on video quality?  Did I make any mistakes on the steps?

Beside is it possible to remove the the dark corners on the video?

Thanks

Regards

szlldm

I'd made a side by side comparison from your picture. The sharpening is clearly visible.
But obviously it can not create new details (it would require a GAN neural network).

The dark corners can be removed with the Crop filter.

satimis

Quote from: szlldm on February 24, 2022, 10:36:07 AMI'd made a side by side comparison from your picture. The sharpening is clearly visible.
Why "Noise cutoff" without action on moving the slider ?

QuoteBut obviously it can not create new details (it would require a GAN neural network).
Whether you meant 'Properties" ?

QuoteThe dark corners can be removed with the Crop filter.
Please guide me how to do it.  Thanks

Regards

szlldm

Quote from: satimis on February 25, 2022, 06:45:49 AMWhy "Noise cutoff" without action on moving the slider ?
It works just fine. It reduces overamplified (by sharpening) noise and compression artifacts.

Quote from: satimis on February 25, 2022, 06:45:49 AM
Select Transform category in the filter manager, then the Crop filter. You can drag the red rubber band by the top-left and bottom-right corner OR adjust the left/right/top/bottom numerical inputs. The green overlayed parts will be cut off from the video.

satimis

Quote from: szlldm on February 25, 2022, 08:36:56 PM- snip -

Quote from: satimis on February 25, 2022, 06:45:49 AM
Select Transform category in the filter manager, then the Crop filter. You can drag the red rubber band by the top-left and bottom-right corner OR adjust the left/right/top/bottom numerical inputs. The green overlayed parts will be cut off from the video.

Hi,

Performed following steps
-> Video Output -> Mpeg4 AVC(x264) -> Filters

Video Filter Manager
-> Transform -> double-click Crop (Crop filter)

Popup screenshot_avi1.png

Then dragging the red rubber band, the green marks on both left and right sides will cut off the dark columns.  How to cut off 4 dark corners?

Please refers to screenshot_avi2.png

Other advice noted with thanks

Regards

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

szlldm

satimis

Quote from: szlldm on February 26, 2022, 01:39:07 PM
Quote from: satimis on February 26, 2022, 06:36:45 AMHow to cut off 4 dark corners?
The only way is to drag rubber brand further.
I see.  The rubber band can't be bent.

Thanks