News:

--

Main Menu

'delete' function, IDR frames

Started by terminaltrip421, April 19, 2022, 10:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminaltrip421

I did a search to see if IDR frames were mentioned because of the issue of deleting on non-IDR frames potentially creating issues. the 2 most relevant topics included one seemingly asking if displaying whether an I-frame was IDR would be possible and another mentioning there might already be a "non-IDR frame warning".

was there a warning added for when using delete on non-IDR frames? was it presumably added post-2.7.2?

I didn't fully understand the answer to the question about whether noting IDR-frames would be possible and since it was asked and answered a year ago -- if there isn't already a helping hand like a warning, would it be possible to note IDR frames in the UI?

unless I'm mistaken IDR frames should be the first frame after a cut and the last one before a cut, correct? I have so much HDD space taken up with video that simply whittling it down with delete before making finer cuts could make a substantial difference.

thank you for any and all help and thank you for the wonderful program!

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: terminaltrip421 on April 19, 2022, 10:39:51 PMwas there a warning added for when using delete on non-IDR frames? was it presumably added post-2.7.2?

An early version of the feature to warn the user about retrograde POC at cut points in open-GOP H.264 streams was added during the 2.7.4 release cycle.

Quote from: terminaltrip421 on April 19, 2022, 10:39:51 PMif there isn't already a helping hand like a warning, would it be possible to note IDR frames in the UI?

The problem of using an ambiguous term for different types of keyframes in Avidemux hasn't been tackled yet. Unfortunately, for the popular task of editing DVB broadcasts in copy mode, this wouldn't provide any relief as IDR frames in such streams may be extremely rare.

Quote from: terminaltrip421 on April 19, 2022, 10:39:51 PMIDR frames should be the first frame after a cut and the last one before a cut, correct?

The former, but not the latter.

terminaltrip421

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 19, 2022, 11:01:40 PMAn early version of the feature to warn the user about retrograde POC at cut points in open-GOP H.264 streams was added during the 2.7.4 release cycle.
cool. so I assume that mean's it's in place in all versions after 2.7.4?

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 19, 2022, 11:01:40 PMThe problem of using an ambiguous term for different types of keyframes in Avidemux hasn't been tackled yet. Unfortunately, for the popular task of editing DVB broadcasts in copy mode, this wouldn't provide any relief as IDR frames in such streams may be extremely rare.
understandable. between the warning and the information you provided below I'd imagine I should be pretty well set.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 19, 2022, 11:01:40 PM
Quote from: terminaltrip421 on April 19, 2022, 10:39:51 PMIDR frames should be the first frame after a cut and the last one before a cut, correct?

The former, but not the latter.

so the best bet would be always marking first i-frame into a new cut/ camera angle/ etc.?

sorry to bother you with what isn't entirely related to the program and appreciate the help, thank you !