Avidemux 2.8.1 Qt6 220506-06h20m_2a70ea03b68 won't work on Catalina 10.15.7

Started by Philo, May 09, 2022, 08:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philo

I know this was posted as a Monterey build but sometimes your builds still work on earlier versions of MacOS, not this one though.  As soon as you click the icon it looks like it starts to open and then immediately closes again.  The older 2.8.1 from back in February does work in Catalina but it appears to have a couple bugs that have probably been fixed in the newer version (mostly crashes that only happen under certain conditions) so I'd like to be able to run the newer version, but any time I upgrade MacOS lately a lot of my other, older software stops working and also Apple seems to be on a tear about removing functionality from their own software (particularly Messages which gets worse with every new version of MacOS).  I don't know if there is a way to make to compatible with both Monterey and earlier versions but just thought I'd let you know (and before you suggest it, I have neither the ability nor the desire to attempt to build a version from source - I'm old and I use a Mac rather than Linux precisely so I don't have to do things like that!).

EDITED:  I wrote "Mohave" when I meant "Monterey".

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Philo on May 09, 2022, 08:31:35 AMAs soon as you click the icon it looks like it starts to open and then immediately closes again.

Please launch it in the Terminal

/Applications/Avidemux_2.8.1.app/Contents/MacOS/Avidemux2.8
to reveal the exact error message.

However, unless the failure is due to Gatekeeper, there is little one could do as the official build environment was migrated to Monterey. It already qualifies as a miracle that a build for macOS can be provided at all.

I cannot help by offering a private build as my MBP runs Monterey too and Homebrew libs Avidemux bundles don't work on older systems. So there is nothing I can do, unfortunately.

Philo

$ /Applications/Avidemux_2.8.1.app/Contents/MacOS/Avidemux2.8
Sorry, "Avidemux2.8.app" cannot be run on this version of macOS. Qt requires macOS 12.0.0 or later, you have macOS 10.15.7.

eumagga0x2a

Thank you, some error messages on macOS are astoundingly polite. As feared, bundled Homebrew libraries such as the Qt framework prevent Avidemux from runnding on older macOS versions.

Marc66FR

Same here with the final build and MacOS Big Sur 11.7

Error message says Qt can only run on macOS 12.x  :(

eumagga0x2a

Correct, Avidemux uses frameworks like Qt and libraries like libx264, libx265, libvpx, libaom, libvorbis and many others from Homebrew which are not backward-compatible because official builds are generated on Monterey.

On earlier macOS versions still supported by Homebrew, the only way to obtain a compatible, current Avidemux app bundle is to build yourself. Even older macOS versions are left in the dust, there is nothing we can do about it.

Marc66FR

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on September 19, 2022, 03:43:27 PMOn earlier macOS versions still supported by Homebrew, the only way to obtain a compatible, current Avidemux app bundle is to build yourself. Even older macOS versions are left in the dust, there is nothing we can do about it.

Thank you for the update

If the app is built on 12.x, it should include the minimum version so we can't run it on macOS <12.x (slashed icon). I'll try to build it on Big Sur using Homebrew, but I will need to install a bunch of dev stuff to achieve this. Or I may try Videopad since it is also free and runs on macOS > 10.5 !

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Marc66FR on September 20, 2022, 03:41:00 PMIf the app is built on 12.x, it should include the minimum version so we can't run it on macOS <12.x (slashed icon).

The application itself is built for Catalina. The libraries from Homebrew are the problem.

Quote from: Marc66FR on September 20, 2022, 03:41:00 PMbut I will need to install a bunch of dev stuff to achieve this

If I am not mistaken, Homebrew installs Command Line Tools and all necessary developer stuff (not Xcode, of course) automatically nowadays. Together with Homebrew packages listed here, this should suffice to be able to build Avidemux from source.

Very important: the file system where Avidemux source directory is located must be case-sensitive.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on September 20, 2022, 04:22:54 PM
Quote from: Marc66FRIf the app is built on 12.x, it should include the minimum version so we can't run it on macOS <12.x (slashed icon).

The application itself is built for Catalina. The libraries from Homebrew are the problem.

I got it backward. Does honestly setting MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to 12 result in a more user-friendly behavior like macOS refusing to install such an app bundle?

khambrecht

Since all required libraries are available for Big Sur from Homebrew, I have sucessfully built v2.8.1 on Big Sur with MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET set to 11. I could share the image if someone is interested. Just let me know.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: khambrecht on November 21, 2022, 09:24:26 PMI have sucessfully built v2.8.1 on Big Sur with MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET set to 11. I could share the image if someone is interested.

As of now, I would strongly recommend using the current git master instead of the 2.8.1 release. The former solves a number of issues found in the release and is hoped not to introduce any new ones (which will probably change once ffmpeg5x lands).