Save dialog default output filename = input filename?

Started by blazini36, June 11, 2022, 05:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blazini36

Been using Avidemux for years, I don't get into scripting or anything like that though. I've been using the qt5-git version available in the AUR. Recently an update had the feature of when clicking save, the output file name was defaulted to the input file name and it started in my last saved directory. This was a huge time saver. Next update it was gone, how do I get that back?

szlldm

It has to be a glitch in AUR. This behaviour was not changed in ages.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: blazini36 on June 11, 2022, 05:36:33 PMhow do I get that back?

Remove qgnomeplatform-qt5 package (I hope it is removable in Arch like it is in Fedora), it breaks the file dialog (which in case of Qt5 perfectly fits into GNOME environment without any additional measures). I ran out of expletives searching for the culprit of this misbehaviour once a Qt6 version of QGnomePlatform had broken my Qt6 Avidemux.

blazini36

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on June 11, 2022, 06:27:58 PM
Quote from: blazini36 on June 11, 2022, 05:36:33 PMhow do I get that back?

Remove qgnomeplatform-qt5 package (I hope it is removable in Arch like it is in Fedora), it breaks the file dialog (which in case of Qt5 perfectly fits into GNOME environment without any additional measures). I ran out of expletives searching for the culprit of this misbehaviour once a Qt6 version of QGnomePlatform had broken my Qt6 Avidemux.

Well it is removeable but it is required by manjaro-settings. Are you suggesting that this is the intended behavior, but is just broken by QGnomePlatform. Szlldm states "it must be a glitch" which I don't know about but it did in fact never exist prior. Glitch or not it is what I would prefer happen

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: blazini36 on June 11, 2022, 07:18:08 PMWell it is removeable but it is required by manjaro-settings.

This is unfortunate. Does removing manjaro-settings result in losing some important components?

Quote from: blazini36 on June 11, 2022, 07:18:08 PMAre you suggesting that this is the intended behavior, but is just broken by QGnomePlatform.

The broken behavior (no prefilled output name in the file dialog opened by Avidemux) you experience is presumably caused by QGnomePlatform. It is possible that qgnomeplatform-qt5 package (which is not in AUR but in the stock Arch) was not present on your system before. Remove it to restore the proper functionality of file dialog.

blazini36

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on June 11, 2022, 07:50:13 PM
Quote from: blazini36 on June 11, 2022, 07:18:08 PMWell it is removeable but it is required by manjaro-settings.

This is unfortunate. Does removing manjaro-settings result in losing some important components?

Quote from: blazini36 on June 11, 2022, 07:18:08 PMAre you suggesting that this is the intended behavior, but is just broken by QGnomePlatform.

The broken behavior (no prefilled output name in the file dialog opened by Avidemux) you experience is presumably caused by QGnomePlatform. It is possible that qgnomeplatform-qt5 package (which is not in AUR but in the stock Arch) was not present on your system before. Remove it to restore the proper functionality of file dialog.

It was present before. it's a default package and it depends on qgnomeplatform-qt5 and qgnomeplatform-qt6 because it's obviously a QT app and there is a notifier that handles the panel stuff. So I'd have to remove at least the notifier, manjaro-settings and qgnomeplatform-qt5/qt6.

Is there some way to achieve this with the python scripting?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: blazini36 on June 11, 2022, 09:08:52 PMIs there some way to achieve this with the python scripting?

Again, the issue is not in Avidemux. It is presumably in QGnomePlatform which breaks file dialog handling in Qt. Therefore there is no way to fix it by means of any Avidemux-internal tools like Python (tinyPy) scripting. Your options are:

1) to remove qgnomeplatform-qt5 package and all packages depending on it;
2) to keep qgnomeplatform-qt5 and accept that Avidemux workflow is heavily impacted.

You probably should report the issue to the developer(s) of QGnomePlatform if Option 1 restores file dialog functionality.