News:

--

Main Menu

AVIDEMUX 2.8.0

Started by Patrizia, July 19, 2022, 01:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrizia

Hello,

sorry, it's a double post because I sent it in the wrong thread (it's my first time here).

I have Avidemux installed in my pc run by windows 8.1. It perfectly works.
Today, I tried to install it on another pc with Windows 11,the programme is downloaded but I CANNOT open it. It doesn't dowload the Avidemux icon on the desktop, and when I create a link on the desktop itself and I double click on it in order to open the programme, it readresses me to the download process.
Your programme is excellent, and I would like to have it. will you please tell me what's wrong with it?
Thanks a lot and best regards.
Patrizia - Genoa (Italy)

eumagga0x2a

Welcome to the forum!

Would you please start where "new_user" had thrown in the towel in the topic Windows 11 22H2 (clean Install) Avidemux 2.80?

In any case, please replace 2.8.0 with the latest available nightly build (which is massively less buggy) and subsequently

1. clarify whether your Windows 11 version is 22H2 (which is in the preview channel, i.e. a public beta) mentioned in that topic

and

2. identify plugins related to this extraordinary slowdown at load time by returning them one by one to their usual location.

I don't have Windows 11 to perform these tests myself while according to the project-internal feedback I've received so far, the issue could not be reproduced on Windows 11 21H2.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Patrizia

Thanks for your prompt reply. Which version must I choose from those listed in the nightly build?
I suppose the last one i.e. that issued on July 20th. Let me know plese, so that I can try it again.
Thanks a lot and ciao. Patrizia

P.S. I have Windows 11 version 21H2.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Patrizia on July 20, 2022, 08:36:24 AMWhich version must I choose from those listed in the nightly build?
I suppose the last one i.e. that issued on July 20th.

Yes, absolutely correct. It is up to you whether to use an installer- or a ZIP-packaged version. Avidemux doesn't need an installation because it doesn't use the registry. Installer-packaged versions are provided just to meet expectations and to allow to leave out some not universally useful components.

Please note that there should be only one instance of Avidemux at a time, especially avoid running different versions simultaneously (it doesn't matter how many Avidemux installations you have on your system, just never run more than a single one at a time). The configuration may be not backward-compatible, so if you decide to return to 2.8.0, it might be better to move the configuration touched by a 2.8.1 nightly in %appdata%\avidemux out of the way.

Quote from: Patrizia on July 20, 2022, 08:36:24 AMP.S. I have Windows 11 version 21H2.

That is remarkable as this version had been previously reported as being not affected. Does it matter for the problem whether the computer is connected to a network or not ("flight mode")? I suspect some overzealous security (file scanning or sandboxing) functionality in Windows, recently distributed to Windows 11, to be responsible.

Patrizia

^^^Yep, precisely. I tried to download the version we talked about, but the PC denies me to do so because of the smartscreen block (unknown editor) which I can bypass. My antivirus tells me everything ok. I suppose I can procede. Ciao.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Patrizia on July 20, 2022, 01:32:10 PMI suppose I can procede

Yes, please do.

As the binaries provided by the project are not cryptographically signed, well-intentioned security guards suspect peril. It is even worse on macOS and ARM-based Macs where macOS security guards prevent me even from running an app bundle I built myself from Avidemux source on this very Mac Mini.

By the way, it is no rocket science to compile Avidemux for Windows yourself. You just need a Linux system with at least 8 GiB of memory, a plenty of storage space and just once a couple of hours of time it takes for the build environment (MXE) to compile. An Avidemux build itself takes only a few minutes on an up-to-date hardware vs approx. 20 minutes on my PC which is almost a decade old.

Patrizia

^^^ Thank you. I'll send a feedback to Microsoft about your site being a secure one.
Ciao. Patrizia.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Patrizia on July 21, 2022, 06:00:32 AMI'll send a feedback to Microsoft about your site being a secure one.

I doubt that this is purposeful and would prefer to assess the problem first, so your feedback in the matter is welcome:

• Does the problem of extremely slow launch depend on availability of network connection?
  • It would be great to identify individual plugins which trigger especially significant delays.

Many thanks in advance.