Chapters and tags not included in new mp4 converted from mkv

Started by Mick, August 25, 2022, 01:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

MKV to MP4 copy conversion. But no chapters or tags are being copied by Avidemux 2.8.1 220802.

Hello,

I've got an mkv with 12 chapters and tags like title, year, genre and director.
I want to convert it to mp4 for easier playing on my TV and Windows Streaming Server uses the tags.

I tried mp4 and mp4 v2 container.

Is Avidemux able to take over chapter and tags information to new file?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Mick on August 25, 2022, 01:40:38 PMIs Avidemux able to take over chapter and tags information to new file?

No, only video and audio tracks are supported. No subtitles, no chapters, no metadata (also no rotation metadata in case of MP4 containers).

Quote from: Mick on August 25, 2022, 01:40:38 PMI tried mp4 and mp4 v2 container.

The libmp4v2-based "MP4v2" muxer, outputting like the libavformat-based "MP4" muxer MP4 containers, is obsolete and deprecated. Neither will create files with chapters etc. as the support in Avidemux is missing starting with demuxers and all further elements of the chain throughout.

Mick

Are there any plans to passthrough meta, subtitles, tags and chapters?

That problem occurred to me again, because I like using Avidemux for cutting my tv captures and when I added tags and/or chapters, they are gone when adjusting video length.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Mick on December 24, 2022, 12:43:37 PMAre there any plans to passthrough meta, subtitles, tags and chapters?

Subtitle tracks and chapters are definitely wanted. Nothing has happened yet.

guju

Reading this thread it occured to me that only mp4 is "deprecated" (as you wrote),
but Avidemux' mkv would support chapters, metainfo etc.

I just tried: It didn't either.

Is there any way Avidemux supports throughpassing chapters, metainfo etc.?

(Up to now I transfer the info with ffmpeg as a last step.
Into a mp4 container!!!).

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: guju on December 26, 2022, 11:55:24 AMReading this thread it occured to me that only mp4 is "deprecated" (as you wrote),

I never stated this. The MP4v2 muxer, based on libmp4v2, is deprecated. The libavformat-based MP4 muxer is recommended and supported. The container itself is widely used and by no means deprecated.

Quote from: guju on December 26, 2022, 11:55:24 AMbut Avidemux' mkv would support chapters, metainfo etc.

Correct, there is no backend support for chapters and metadata (except of color properties) whatsoever.

Quote from: guju on December 26, 2022, 11:55:24 AMIs there any way Avidemux supports throughpassing chapters, metainfo etc.?

By means of an interested person with considerable coding abilities investing quite some time and effort implementing all the necessary parts.

guju

Thank you - I got it now.
(Couldn't have imagined that mp4v2 is deprecated but mp4(v1) is not).  ;)