News:

--

Main Menu

Newbie confusion

Started by rsbrux, October 18, 2022, 05:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsbrux

1. The title of this section is "Main Version 2.6", yet the current release is 2.8.1, whic is also the version which I have installed.  Is or isn't this the correct version to use?
2. I am unable to perform the simplest of operations.  I have opened an MP4 file, placed the "A" marker at the beginning of the video and the "B" marker (on a keyframe) about 15 seconds before the end. When I select "Cut" from the "Edit" menu, the result is the section between the "B" marker and the end, not the section begin the "A" marker and the "B" marker.  The desired section is shown correctly with the box on the timeline before I execute the cut. I have even tried positioning the "A" marker at the first keyframe *after* the start of the video, but the results are similar.  What am I doing wrong?
I am using AviDeMux 2.8.1 (64 bits) under Windows 10 21H2.

Blues

1. I see several maintenance issues with these forums. There is also a sticky with dead content, for instance.
2. You are saying the part between A and B is not cut, the part after B marker is cut instead? Does not happen here with 2.8.2.

eumagga0x2a

1. I can only guess that chasing the current version was deemed to cause more trouble than it is worth. Maybe this would invalidate old links or negatively affect results in search engines, I don't know. The main point behind "2.6" is that it marked a profound redesign of the entire application, to distance itself from the legacy "2.5" versions of Avidemux. 2.8.x versions are much, much closer to 2.6.x than 2.6 to 2.5.

2. Once you have selected a range using A and B markers, Ctrl+S ("File" --> "Save") will export it according to selected encoder(s) (or in copy mode, which is the default) and muxer (with "MKV Muxer" being the default one). "Cut" is "Copy to clipboard" and "Delete" in one go.

While 2.8.1 is the latest release, I would recommend updating to a recent 2.8.2 nightly build which fixes a hard crash in MPEG-TS demuxer with some damaged files as well as a couple of other, minor issues.

rsbrux

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on October 18, 2022, 06:35:29 PM2. Once you have selected a range using A and B markers, Ctrl+S ("File" --> "Save") will export it according to selected encoder(s) (or in copy mode, which is the default) and muxer (with "MKV Muxer" being the default one). "Cut" is "Copy to clipboard" and "Delete" in one go.
Thanks for the explanation! I should have guessed from the keyboard shortcut that "Cut" was being used in the same sense as in MS Office, rather than in the sense I am used to from other media editing software.  What I was originally looking for was "Trim", but since I didn't find it, I used "Cut" instead.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on October 18, 2022, 06:35:29 PMWhile 2.8.1 is the latest release, I would recommend updating to a recent 2.8.2 nightly build which fixes a hard crash in MPEG-TS demuxer with some damaged files as well as a couple of other, minor issues.
Thanks for the tip, but since I am not editing MPEG-TS media at this time and can accomplish my immediate task(s) with v2.8.1, I will stick with it until 2.8.2 is released (or until I run into trouble with 2.8.1) ;-)