News:

--

Main Menu

Can’t open file converted from AVI to MP4

Started by Mariolover, January 14, 2023, 01:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariolover

Hi everyone. I transferred one of my hour and a half long VHS tapes to my computer using AmaRecTV. I used that program because I wanted the best capture I could possibly get without dropping frames. I don't have the money for an external TBC because of my budget, so I used this program instead, and luckily it still came out fine,

but it made a huge AVI file that's about 45 GB,

so I tried converting it to mp4 in Avidemux 2.8 on my Windows 10 PC. I tried using both the Mpeg4 AVC (x264) codec and the Mpeg4 Xvid codecs for video, and the AAC and AC3 codes for audio,

but no matter what I use, the file comes out corrupted. I get the missing codec error 0xc00d5212 "This item was encoded in a format that's not supported." When I try opening the file it creates.

The audio plays fine when I open it but the video won't play and this error pops up. Strangely, the file opens just fine in Avidemux, but when I get the file converted on my computer is when it has trouble playing. How do I fix this codec issue?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Mariolover on January 14, 2023, 01:26:36 AMI tried converting it to mp4 in Avidemux 2.8 on my Windows 10 PC

Please note that only the last release 2.8.1 and the most recent 2.8.2 nightly are supported and, as a rule, issues with the release need to be verified using the latest nightly build.

Quote from: Mariolover on January 14, 2023, 01:26:36 AMbut no matter what I use, the file comes out corrupted. I get the missing codec error 0xc00d5212 "This item was encoded in a format that's not supported."

Not supported doesn't mean corrupted. However, please re-encode a small segment of the source AVI file into H.264 (don't forget to deinterlace if the source is interlaced!) with x264 video encoder and the audio track into AAC with the "AAC (lav)" audio encoder, muxing the output into an MP4 container (don't use the obsolete "MP4v2" muxer in case you use a MinGW build of Avidemux, use the supported and maintained libavformat-based "MP4" one!) and test whether Windows Media Player or whatever software throws that error can play it.

If the error persists, please post the output of MediaInfo for the source AVI and for the created MP4 file(s). It is known that external antispam service "CleanTalk" often blocks postings containing MediaInfo output, so please create a post without it first, then edit it to insert the textual output of MediaInfo.