Does Avidemux already support video encoding in AV1 codec via GPU?

Started by tafreire2022, January 14, 2023, 05:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tafreire2022

Does Avidemux already support video encoding in AV1 codec via GPU?

I would like to encode several H.264 videos I have here to AV1 with some new VGA that encodes in AV1 via the GPU. I have a GTX 1050Ti on my PC for now, but I intend to buy a VGA that encodes in AV1 via GPU.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: tafreire2022 on January 14, 2023, 05:12:25 PMDoes Avidemux already support video encoding in AV1 codec via GPU?

Neither a hardware nor a software AV1 encoder is available in Avidemux (and also no capability to decode AV1 in hardware).

Quote from: tafreire2022 on January 14, 2023, 05:12:25 PMI would like to encode several H.264 videos I have here to AV1

Unless you edit video and apply video filters, this makes only sense if you are desperately short on storage. <Captain Obvious>Every generation of lossy encoding worsens the quality and AV1 is no exception</Captain Obvious>.

Quote from: tafreire2022 on January 14, 2023, 05:12:25 PMI have a GTX 1050Ti on my PC for now, but I intend to buy a VGA that encodes in AV1 via GPU.

If you have a Linux installation (e.g. as a dual-boot) on your PC, this would put you into a favorable position to write such an encoder (probably a minimal extension of the existing ffNvEnc plugin would do). My graphics card is too young to consider an upgrade any time soon.

tafreire2022

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 14, 2023, 08:00:15 PMNeither a hardware nor a software AV1 encoder is available in Avidemux (and also no capability to decode AV1 in hardware).

But are you going to make Avidemux able to encode and decode AV1?

Is it just missing the new generation of VGAs from Nvidia, AMD and Intel for you? If so, could you contact Nvidia, AMD and Intel to they send you samples of new VGAs and APUs (that encode and decode AV1) for you to you make Avidemux able to encode and decode AV1?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: tafreire2022 on January 20, 2023, 09:37:10 PMBut are you going to make Avidemux able to encode and decode AV1?

Avidemux is able to decode AV1 in software via libaom plugin. It is planned to switch to libdav1d via bundled libavcodec, this is a prerequisite for support for decoding AV1 in hardware. When I buy some hardware capable of encoding in AV1, I'll evaluate adding a corresponding plugin to Avidemux.

Quote from: tafreire2022 on January 20, 2023, 09:37:10 PMIs it just missing the new generation of VGAs from Nvidia, AMD and Intel for you? If so, could you contact Nvidia, AMD and Intel to they send you samples of new VGAs and APUs (that encode and decode AV1) for you to you make Avidemux able to encode and decode AV1?

I see a huge misconception here.

OCE

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 21, 2023, 01:22:01 AMAvidemux is able to decode AV1 in software via libaom plugin. It is planned to switch to libdav1d via bundled libavcodec, this is a prerequisite for support for decoding AV1 in hardware. When I buy some hardware capable of encoding in AV1, I'll evaluate adding a corresponding plugin to Avidemux.

That would be great if Avidemux could also encode with AV1. Until you will find hardware encoding usefull how about software encoding? I suppose that could be enough for simple cuttting/editing and saving. Some Avidemux users don't have hardware capable AV1 hardware encoding and will not buy a new one for this reason. I also think it can take some time hardware producers to introduce improvements necessary for AV1 hardware encoding, simply because chain of idea-research-marketing-design-tests-decision-manufacturing for a hardware product takes time I think. So I suppose in my limited knowleadge software encoding is good or not-bad solution for now. Despite all limitations of software solution I kindly ask for AV1 to be considered as next standard codeck in Avidemux just like x264 is now.

OCE

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 14, 2023, 08:00:15 PMUnless you edit video and apply video filters, this makes only sense if you are desperately short on storage. <Captain Obvious>Every generation of lossy encoding worsens the quality and AV1 is no exception</Captain Obvious>.

Yes, indeed, smaller files are strong motivation for me also. There is nothing wrong in more efficient using avaiable resources like HDD or SDD space. I see no point in avoiding more effective solution even when effects are not better but only  compareable. And despite of mentioned "worsenig quality" wechange from older to newer codecks. Otherwise we would be still using lets say MPG1 and MIDI music instead x264 or AV1. Bill Gates of Microsoft once upone a time said that no one needs more then 640kb of RAM in his computer for everything. Nowadays I think a simple noname watch can have more RAM. So yes, Captain Obvious can be right with his words, but this is only a part but not the whole picture about codecks and related things. Why use less effective way of using of SDD space when another way is (much) more effecient?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: OCE on July 18, 2023, 06:45:48 AMUntil you will find hardware encoding usefull how about software encoding?

The aom AV1 encoder was prohibitively slow on my old hardware (a small fraction of 1 fps for 720p source at best), making any work on a sw encoder off-limits. Things have changed for the better now, so that a sw AV1 encoder plugin may appear in Avidemux in the midterm.