Can't play extracted Opus audio from Youtube AV1 video with any player

Started by ethanduong, April 10, 2023, 08:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanduong

So I grabbed a Youtube video
using IDM.
I know this is the original YouTube video and not converted by any third-party converter because of the link:

On MPC-HC the audio codec is said to be Opus:

But when I extract it using Avidemux, no file extension was given:

So I tried Ogg, Opus, m4a, mkv as the extension of the audio extraction. None was recognized and processed by Foobar, WMP, Audacity. Even MPC-HC refused to play it after extraction.

I don't know much about codec though, and I'm just curious about the reason. Any help would be very much appreciated!

This is the archive containing both the original video and the extracted audio in case anyone wants to take a look:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/123Z8C0zXzk6Cy4Chy-qqU6qMW9KzuN_q/view?usp=share_link

szlldm

ethanduong

Quote from: szlldm on April 10, 2023, 08:43:44 PMI think it exports raw Opus audio, without container.

Appreciate the info! Now what can/should I do with it? Audacity won't process it and it's the only audio-processing program I have on my computer.

eumagga0x2a

If your purpose is to edit the audio in Audacity, then open the source MKV directly in Audacity. Unless you have a build with reduced functionality, it should be able to demux Matroska and import the audio track just fine.

Your other options are to request an AAC audio stream for this video passing the appropriate value to the -f option of yt-dlp on the command line (often 140) or to save audio using Avidemux, but with codec set to PCM. Raw Opus streams are useless.

ethanduong

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 11, 2023, 06:47:05 AMIf your purpose is to edit the audio in Audacity, then open the source MKV directly in Audacity. Unless you have a build with reduced functionality, it should be able to demux Matroska and import the audio track just fine.

Your other options are to request an AAC audio stream for this video passing the appropriate value to the -f option of yt-dlp on the command line (often 140) or to save audio using Avidemux, but with codec set to PCM. Raw Opus streams are useless.

Oh thanks a lot! Somehow I didn't think about just importing the file directly to Audacity. It worked!