Avidemux_2.8.1VC++64bits will not install Windows 11

Started by jandemna, April 14, 2023, 08:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jandemna

Using Windows 11 latest version 22H2 (22621.1105)
On the install window I don't get a next/cancel button at the bottom.

eumagga0x2a

Unless you need VapourSynth support, please use a ZIP-packaged MinGW build of 2.8.2 from https://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/ then. I have no hardware capable of running Windows 11 to test.

By the way, it is known that "cloud-delivered protection" option of Windows Defender clashes with modular design of Avidemux, slowing down its launch in an extreme way or totally blocking it.

Urik

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 16, 2023, 10:49:34 PMBy the way, it is known that "cloud-delivered protection" option of Windows Defender clashes with modular design of Avidemux, slowing down its launch in an extreme way or totally blocking it.
Thanks so much for the tip. I've switched to fresh install of Windows 11 yesterday, and while I usually completely disable the Defender, I've kept it on this time around.
I've tried several 2.8.2 VC builds, and one MinGW, and it would take a long time to launch and then freeze up completely.
Once I've added the installation path to Defender exclusions, it works fine.
Maybe it also has to do with certificates or something, since the exe installer triggers SmartScreen warning when run.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Urik on May 19, 2023, 01:08:36 PMMaybe it also has to do with certificates or something, since the exe installer triggers SmartScreen warning when run.

Using NSIS-packaged builds avoids the warning on each run, at least on Windows 10. I didn't try to find out the logic behind this functionality, probably some attribute is added to the entry for the executable file indicating that the file originates from the internet like it is done on macOS (x86_64) which blocks execution unless this bit is cleared (trivial to do on command line).