Started by train85, April 20, 2023, 02:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

train85

Avidemux Nightly 2.8.2.230212 Portable

W11 - Start Menu - Parameters - System - Display - Scale - 150%
https://i.imgur.com/UjxjwJl.png

Toolbars overlap each other.

eumagga0x2a

I guess any scaling factor which is not a power of 2 is not supposed to work and is fundamentally broken in Windows itself and in Qt used by Avidemux (especially in older Qt5).

You might also try the default (native) theme, not the "Fusion" Qt style which is the base of the "dark theme".

train85

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 20, 2023, 09:17:14 PMI guess any scaling factor which is not a power of 2 is not supposed to work and is fundamentally broken in Windows itself and in Qt used by Avidemux (especially in older Qt5).
I have a lot of programs with Qt, but problems with interface elements (they are so enlarged that they overlap/obscure each other) only in Avidemux. My monitor is the most ordinary, 24 inches.

In some respects, enlarged buttons and switches are even good, they are easier to get into with the cursor and they are better visible. But, unfortunately, they "overlap" each other. It's not critical, it's just inconvenient sometimes.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 20, 2023, 09:17:14 PMYou might also try the default (native) theme, not the "Fusion" Qt style which is the base of the "dark theme".
Unfortunately, this is on all topics:
https://i.imgur.com/QNDGZsz.png

I also wanted to ask what this parameter refers to?
https://i.imgur.com/v56BEna.png

sark

Quote from: train85 on April 21, 2023, 10:26:51 AMI also wanted to ask what this parameter refers to?
https://i.imgur.com/v56BEna.png

Video screen zoom. 1:1 = 100%. Matching pixel to pixel with your monitor. Fit to screen will vary according to video resolution and window size.
Personally I find this a bit buggy. 1:1 will often just stretch the videos width to fill all the available screen space without altering height. This only occurs when the window is maximized ?

train85

Quote from: sark on April 21, 2023, 11:11:31 PMVideo screen zoom. 1:1 = 100%. Matching pixel to pixel with your monitor.
I see, thank you.

Quote from: sark on April 21, 2023, 11:11:31 PMThis only occurs when the window is maximized ?
I didn't quite understand your question. I always use maximized window.

sark

Quote from: train85 on April 22, 2023, 09:14:55 AM
Quote from: sark on April 21, 2023, 11:11:31 PMThis only occurs when the window is maximized ?
I didn't quite understand your question. I always use maximized window.

When I switch from Fit to window to 1:1 the video image should display at 100%. This will only display part of a 1080p video due to my monitor size and resolution. However, when my window is maximized the 1:1 option just stretches the width of the image to fill any available space. The height remains unchanged. I can still see all the image, albeit distorted. This only occurs when the window is Maximized, which is the normal option for most apps. Even with the window manually stretched to fill most of my desktop it works fine. Just not when I click Maximize.

This may relate to my OS (Win 7) and system, but it is interesting that you are also having issues, although not one I have  experienced.

eumagga0x2a

@sark, please use a better display than the unaccelerated "Qt" / "RGB". It is just a fallback for the case when everything else crashes or otherwise doesn't work. On Windows, "DXVA2" display is best, with "OpenGL" / "QtGl" being a distant second.

sark

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 22, 2023, 05:48:51 PM@sark, please use a better display than the unaccelerated "Qt" / "RGB". It is just a fallback for the case when everything else crashes or otherwise doesn't work. On Windows, "DXVA2" display is best, with "OpenGL" / "QtGl" being a distant second.

Yes.. that solves the issue. I switched to OpenGL for a reason way back, but can't remember why now. Will leave it at DVXA2.

Thanks

eumagga0x2a

OpenGL (QtGl) display should not cause distorted picture when maximized, it is the plain "Qt" fallback display (see it as a way to show a video by rapidly changing wallpaper, all the heavy scaling and color conversion work done by the CPU) which behaves this way.

sark

My stupid mistake. I had OpenGL selected in Video display:, but didn't realize Enable OpenGL support was unchecked. Clearly it defaults to Qt with this combination. I've probably been repeating this error when updating AVD....Seems odd that Video display: doesn't automatically enable OpenGL when it's selected?

EDIT
        I've now realized why I switched to OpenGL. When some videos open with DXVA2 selected they appear slightly washed out. This disappears as soon as I press play, or just shift one frame forward. I'm pretty sure when I originally had this issue it remained even during playback.
Maybe it's a Windows issue, but the issue didn't and still doesn't affect filter previews, just the main window display.
As it is now just the first frame, and can easily be resolved, I can live with it.

train85

MediaDownloader
The program, if I'm not mistaken, uses Qt5 ("Qt/C++ based GUI frontend"). This program implements the option of scaling the interface, which easily allows you to adjust it to any Windows scale:

https://i.imgur.com/zWgQ03A.png

Ideally, I would like a similar option to appear in AviDemux.

szlldm

Quote from: train85 on May 10, 2023, 08:17:40 PMThe program, if I'm not mistaken, uses Qt5 ("Qt/C++ based GUI frontend"). This program implements the option of scaling the interface, which easily allows you to adjust it to any Windows scale

That program just changes the environmetal variable QT_SCALE_FACTOR.
Therefore this would affect all Qt based softwares.
However you could launch Avidemux with custom QT_SCALE_FACTOR value.
Example, create a desktop shortcut and set the command to:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "SET QT_SCALE_FACTOR=0.9 && START /D ^"C:\Program Files (x86)\Avidemux^" avidemux.exe"
("C:\Program Files (x86)\Avidemux" has to be a valid path)

train85

Thanks a lot for the clarification! The solution you have proposed is suitable for launching via a shortcut from the desktop. But I always run AviDemux for a specific video file, that is, I use the context menu command "Open with"...

Is it possible to make not only the shortcut, but also the program itself in Windows 11 run with such default parameters? Maybe something can be changed in the Registry?

train85

In general, I solved the problem locally at home. I was prompted on another forum with the code for the new item in the context menu "Open with Avidemux":

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\AVIDEMUX]
"Icon"="%USERPROFILE%\\AppData\\Local\\MEDIA\\Avidemux\\avidemux_portable.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\AVIDEMUX\command]
@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\cmd.exe /c \"SET QT_SCALE_FACTOR=0.8 && START /D ^\"%USERPROFILE%\\AppData\\Local\\MEDIA\\Avidemux^\" avidemux_portable.exe\" %1"

Thanks again to szlldm for the parameters.

But, it is easier, of course, to add such an option (changing the scale of the interface) to the program itself. I think I'm not the only user with a scale of 150% in Windows.