Can't report bug as forum thinks I'm swearing

Started by Vygantas, May 16, 2023, 01:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vygantas

Opening JPEG in avidemux_2.8.1 r220207_win64.exe causes crash loop

Accidentally opened JPG instead of MP4, and it gives this error message. However, it then restarts and opens the same file again causing a crash loop that you can't cancel.:

You cannot view this attachment.

Can't post details cause post gets auto blocked for cursing

eumagga0x2a

First of all, please verify that the issue exists with the latest available 2.8.2 nightly which is currently from May 9 2023. If it does, is the crash specific to a particular JPEG file?

Please take care to install (or just extract if you use the ZIP-packaged version) the nightly to an empty directory and never run multiple instances of Avidemux simultaneously.

I don't see how such an automatic restart may happen with Avidemux. If the previous session ended in a crash, Avidemux would ask whether to restore the session. The default is not to restore.

Vygantas

Hi, It's with latest nightly from May 9, reinstall didn't help but I've just removed JPEG, and since it failed to open it, I could open software again.

Vygantas

Update: now this happened again when I've accidentally opened image, except that even after removing image, it gives same error and you can't open software again

Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/YD7b5usp

eumagga0x2a

Please provide the JPEG triggering the crash as a sample.

Vygantas

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on June 08, 2023, 07:53:42 PMPlease provide the JPEG triggering the crash as a sample.

It's actually any JPG, but attached example

szlldm

Looks like the cause of the crash is, that at least one of the dimensions are odd.

butterw

Some image software will resize/crop to odd dimensions.

Would it be possible to display an error message "unsupported jpg (at least one odd dimension) !" instead of just crashing ?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: szlldm on June 12, 2023, 01:20:55 AMLooks like the cause of the crash is, that at least one of the dimensions are odd.

Exactly, we were "correcting" odd width and height in the demuxer and crashing (in an orderly way) because of disagreement with the decoder later. Irrespective of all kinds of problems input with odd dimensions can cause (e.g. most video encoders will fail), crashing is not nice. Should be fixed now.

Vygantas, thank you for your report.

Vygantas

Thank you very very much!

The last stable didn't crash, thanks for the fix!

eumagga0x2a

The issue existed for at least 14 years (maybe hidden by a missing check for width and height mismatch). No official binaries containing the fix have been generated yet, please retry with a future nightly.

The other aspect which remained unassessed is the crash loop you mentioned. What is your setting regarding alerts in Avidemux? Which one of All / Errors only / No alerts?

Vygantas

I use "all off" notifications setting, aka no alerts.

eumagga0x2a

Thank you, I need to check whether "no alerts" is fatal on Windows in case à file causes an assert failure (an orderly crash like in your case) by defaulting to the dangerous option of trying to restore the state of editing at the time of the crash.

In any case, I advise against selecting any setting other than "show all alerts" because else in dialogs containing a choice always silently the default option is chosen, and this default may be swapped on Windows compared to Linux where it is correct (on Linux the scenario you experienced is impossible because the state leading to a crash is never restored automatically).

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on June 16, 2023, 01:05:47 PMI need to check whether "no alerts" is fatal on Windows

Not Windows-specific, but a general bug with the silent mode. Will try to fix it tonight.

Vygantas

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on June 16, 2023, 04:35:00 PM
Quote from: eumagga0x2a on June 16, 2023, 01:05:47 PMI need to check whether "no alerts" is fatal on Windows

Not Windows-specific, but a general bug with the silent mode. Will try to fix it tonight.

Thank you very much for a quick input and your hard work.

QuoteIn any case, I advise against selecting any setting other than "show all alerts" because else in dialogs containing a choice always silently the default option is chosen, and this default may be swapped on Windows compared to Linux where it is correct (on Linux the scenario you experienced is impossible because the state leading to a crash is never restored automatically).

I do that setting for no pop-up with "OK" when export is complete, but went the extra mile with the most extreme setting just to be "safe" that it never appears again.