Audio bitrate defaults to 128 - JobList Queue -Update-2.8.2 (230509)

Started by tropolite, May 19, 2023, 10:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tropolite

Hi - Further updates in the Audio issues, it's become more specific.

I've uninstalled and cleaned my system of every remnant and reinstalled the latest build 2.8.2 (230509_520b17c7cbb-fflibs 5.1.2).

This issue has been happening for some time, now I've investigated deeper. It also isn't intermittent as I first noted, it's a constant problem with the bitrate. I've been updating my digital library going away from avi to mp4.

I convert mkv clips to 720p mp4, slightly boost the audio gain and remix to 5.1 with a bitrate of 224. (All original sources are of much higher quality). If I convert these files individually they convert properly.

However as I have a large number of files I use Job lists and Queues to add a number of jobs and leave it running overnight.
The job list queue is not working correctly (or I'm not doing something right), as I find the results of the queued jobs do not keep the bitrate of 224 and defaults the bitrate to 128!

I normally minimize Avidemux (Windows) while I run the Job List control panel and if I go back to Avidemux again after noticing the last job failed to convert to the bitrate at '224' I run the exactly the same job from the GUI/Application individually and it successfully converts the bitrate to '224'.

Further observations and suggestion to Avidemux Audio Output change. Workaround

When I converted to AVI/MP3 I did not experience the problem I'm facing with the Audio conversion. The bitrate I used previously was 192kb/s MP3 and each clip retained the kb/s setting under 'Configuration' in the 'Audio Output' section.

However because I've changed my overall conversion format to MP4/AAC I find the 'Audio Output' > 'Configuration' setting is not retained over multiple conversions while adding clips to the Job list. The bitrate does not (unlike the MP3 bitrate), retain for use in new clips added to the joblist. I've had success opening up 'Configuration' kb/s setting, flipping to another rate, and back to 224 kb/s every time you add a clip to the job list - this solves my issue.

SUGGESTION
There are differences between the various audio formats within the 'Audio Output' >'Configuration' settings. My suggestion would be to remove the bitrate from its own section and add it to the Main tab in the 'Filters' section. There's only one the kb/s setting in the AAC format anyway. With the MP3 format keep the Bitrate Mode and Quality options in 'Configuration' making more sense overall, in my opinion anyway.

All this is probably too long-winded but I wanted to step out the issue I found to hopefully help others that experience similar issues.

eumagga0x2a

I could not believe this was not implemented (actually, it is partially implemented only for the lame plugin), should be fixed for libavcodec-based audio encoders by [audioEncoders/lavcodec] Write configuration to project script, will fix other audio encoders a bit later.

Scratch that. A proper analysis still to be done.

Thank you very much for your report.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: tropolite on May 19, 2023, 10:52:25 AMI normally minimize Avidemux (Windows) while I run the Job List control panel

Please make sure you completely close* Avidemux when you run Job List control panel. Running multiple instances of Avidemux concurrently is absolutely not supported (even if it may work to some extent). I wonder whether this may be related to the issue you experience.

An empty LavAAC configuration in project scripts seems to happen only when this encoder is selected but neither the configuration dialog is accepted nor the configuration is set by other means like the script console, which cannot be responsible for the issue (an empty configuration tells the encoder to use the default one).

*) I mean, close Avidemux, then launch the Job control panel which in turn will run Avidemux (the command line version or the GUI one) for each of the jobs queued.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: tropolite on May 19, 2023, 10:52:25 AMI run the exactly the same job from the GUI/Application individually and it successfully converts the bitrate to '224'.

Do you mean by GUI/Application the main Avidemux window (avidemux.exe on Windows) or the Job List control panel (avidemux_jobs.exe)?

If the former, do you really run the job – execute the corresponding project script from %appdata%\avidemux\jobs – or you recreate the configuration by reconfiguring the encoder?

If it is the latter, the problem is probably with the script. Please check whether the line

adm.audioCodec(0, "LavAAC", "bitrate=224")
contains the bitrate part. If it does, the problem is with the way the script is applied by Avidemux. Else the problem is with the way the script is generated.

tropolite

Hi.. sorry for the delay but thank you for replying.

When I convert a series of clips I do not use scripts (not a coder, a hack at best :) )

I use the latest version of Avidemux 2.8.2 (r230509) Application GUI, load a clip, change the settings for audio and video and queue it in the job list. I then load another and, change settings, and so on.

The bitrate value of the audio between clips stays at the previous value selected (say 224) but I noticed the new clip the bitrate defaults to 128 even though in the GUI shows 224. I don't remember having this issue with Avidemux before.

The point I was trying to make with the Avidemux Application minimized leaving the last queued clip loaded was simply for testing my theory.

Using the job list the bitrate defaulted to the lower bitrate even though it was already showing at 224 when queueing the job. Once the jobs completed I cleared the successful jobs and quit Job Control.

Restoring the Avidemux Application (to test my theory), with the already loaded last job knowing that the bitrate was showing at 224. Saved the clip from the Application and once saved checked the audio and it reports back at 224 bitrate. So the bitrate when adding a job to the queue isn't recognizing a bitrate that stays constant between jobs in the GUI but each job must be reselected to the bitrate required.

The workaround is relatively simple, if I'm queuing clip in the Jobs Control I reset the bitrate to a different rate, then reselect the desired rate for every clip I'm adding to the queue even though it has the desired bitrate already displayed from the last clip added to the queue. (It's a couple more clicks but it resolves the issue at hand).

Hope this is understandable. Tried to explain it as clear and detailed as I can.