How to turn back on audio signal that a file save has finished

Started by TCmullet, June 01, 2023, 11:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCmullet

I recently upgraded from 2.7.8 to 2.8.1.  Program functions better, for sure.  But now I get no audio signal when a file save has finished.  I can't find it in the options for turning that back on.  I need to have that.  Please tell me how to turn it back on.  Thank you!

eumagga0x2a

Instead of 2.8.1 I would suggest moving right to current nightly builds for quality and stability reasons.

Quote from: TCmullet on June 01, 2023, 11:20:59 AMnow I get no audio signal when a file save has finished.  I can't find it in the options for turning that back on.

There has never been any, at least since Avidemux 2.6.x. Maybe you have set message level in Avidemux Preferences to "Display only error alerts" or even "No alerts".

By the way, szlldm added very recently a notification sound audio file to Avidemux source code. It is unused at the moment, but this may change in the future (one way or the other).

TCmullet

Thank you!  I'll check out the audio options.

But I have to respond to your suggestion to use a nightly build.  I am very puzzled at this suggestion.  I do what all laymen should do.  I NEVER use a nightly build and never will.  Laymen should only use the released version of any software.  It's a challenge enough to get a new released version and get old released versions off without adding another level of complexity and clutter by having numerous "nightly builds" on my already too cluttered Windows 10 PC.  I'm not trying to debate this or get into a controversy.  I merely want to make it clear that I feel that layman should only use released version of any software.

If there's a special situation where the programmers need a layman to test a new build and the only way to do it is with a nightly build, maybe okay.  But you shouldn't expect laymen to be eager to do that.  You should really expect laymen to ONLY have the released version.  I used to be a programmer before retirement and I honestly can't imagine any software package in the world sending a nightly build out EXCEPT for an emergency patch to fix a DP crisis.  And failing to processing video files is generally not a crisis that could cause a company financial loss.

My thanks to all the programmers for the great work in producing and enhancing AviDemux.

butterw

>> My thanks to all the programmers for the great work in producing and enhancing AviDemux.
That would be eumagga0x2a and szlldm currently.

AFAIK what's referred to as nightly is typically the monthly dev build. There's isn't a major difference between the release and the dev builds. The bi-yearly releases get tested a bit more sure, but sometimes new features/updates get pushed in. Many users update only on releases, so what happens is the bugs get discovered after release and the dev-build fix them. This isn't any worse than what Microsoft or Google do, and Avidemux has much fewer devs.  ;D

eumagga0x2a

butterw has said it all. Avidemux dev builds usually provide a far superior UX compared to releases. As a rule, they are also more stable. Avidemux doesn't have QA infrastructure à la Mozilla with huge test suites, automated unit tests etc., it relies only on people running dev builds to work on their video editing projects and reporting bugs and especially regressions they encounter.

Quote from: TCmullet on June 02, 2023, 11:58:31 AMI merely want to make it clear that I feel that layman should only use released version of any software.

In theory, yes.

TCmullet

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on June 01, 2023, 02:52:42 PMThere has never been any, at least since Avidemux 2.6.x. Maybe you have set message level in Avidemux Preferences to "Display only error alerts" or even "No alerts".
I've been using Avidemux since 2.6.1 in Jan. 2013.  From then through all my 2.7.8 usage, it makes a sound alerting me to when the save has finished.  Message level has always been set to "display all alerts", and yes it does display it fine.  Just no audio.  I just installed 2.8.1 on another PC.  On both PCs (Win 10), 2.7.8 makes the correct sound on both PCs.  2.8.1 fails to make any sound for the same message.  On both PCs.

FWIW, the sound it makes is the system sound called "Asterisk".

szlldm

Is the 2.7.8 version win64 or VC++?
2.8.1 only released as VC++ (why oh why). if previous versions have installed from win64, maybe it could explain the difference.

TCmullet

Quote from: szlldm on June 02, 2023, 11:39:45 PMIs the 2.7.8 version win64 or VC++?
2.8.1 only released as VC++ (why oh why). if previous versions have installed from win64, maybe it could explain the difference.
This is so confusing. From your 2nd sentence, I infer that when you said "win64 or VC++?", you weren't asking "was it either one of those?", but instead were asking "which one of those?".  And to answer the latter, I have to say BOTH.  One of them failed to work (probably the non-VC), so I may have been told here to get the VC++ one which worked.  That's why this time I downloaded 2.8.1-VC++.

Here are the installers I installed for each.  I don't remember fully why I had to install two 2.7.8s.  This is NOT documented well at all as to what one needs to do to download and install Avidemux.  (Maybe it used to be in 2013.)  But I can say with 100% confidence that the end-of-save ALWAYS gave a sound for me.  It's absence sticks out like a sore thumb now, which is why I say 100% even though I don't specifically remember hearing it in the distant past.

avidemux_2.7.8__win64.exe
Avidemux_2.7.8VC++64bits.exe
Avidemux_2.8.1VC++64bits.exe

eumagga0x2a

Avidemux itself doesn't play any sound when an informational popup (QMessageBox::information(...)) is shown, this is internal affairs of the Qt toolkit and its accessibility infrastructure. Avidemux MinGW ("win64") and VC++ builds use different versions of Qt which explains why they may behave differently.

And yes, different Qt versions can make a huge difference: Qt6 starting with 6.4.0 has broken OpenGL in Avidemux on Linux :-(

TCmullet

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on June 03, 2023, 03:55:56 PMAvidemux itself doesn't play any sound when an informational popup (QMessageBox::information(...)) is shown, this is internal affairs of the Qt toolkit and its accessibility infrastructure. Avidemux MinGW ("win64") and VC++ builds use different versions of Qt which explains why they may behave differently.

And yes, different Qt versions can make a huge difference: Qt6 starting with 6.4.0 has broken OpenGL in Avidemux on Linux :-(
Forgive me that I'm not able to grasp all that.  Can you please simply send me to the link to download whatever I need to install to solve this problem??  I don't know where to go.