Variable scroll button timing issue?

Started by sark, August 18, 2023, 11:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sark

Latest Avidemux Nightly 2.8.2 (230710)

I've recently started using the variable scroll button more frequently. I've noticed that the 1 sec option does not jump 1 sec at a time, but misses a frame. At 20ms per frame it jumps from 0 sec to 980ms. I know this equates to one full second when we include zero, but AVD does not export the selected end (B marker) frame.
More importantly, if I hit that key say, five times, I'm at 4.900 seconds. At 25fps (40ms per frame), I'm at 4.800 seconds. That a fifth of a second out. Same for 2 and 4 second options.

eumagga0x2a

This was sort of intended, but I have to admit that it could be confusing in case of videos where presentation timestamps were a mulitple of 1/fps with fps being an integer value (e.g. 30 but not a fraction like 30000/1001). I've changed this for now.

Please be aware that in videos where timestamps don't match this pattern, alternating forward and backward seek by the same amount of time will crawl backward. I think this is not a big deal.

sark

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 19, 2023, 12:11:06 AMPlease be aware that in videos where timestamps don't match this pattern, alternating forward and backward seek by the same amount of time will crawl backward. I think this is not a big deal.

Incredible to think what is a throwback to accommodate earlier black and white broadcasting, during the introduction of colour, is still causing issues today.

eumagga0x2a

Nothing wrong with fractional time bases / frame rates, it is our insistence on inflexible time units which causes issues here  ;)