News:

--

Main Menu

Win64 and vsWin64

Started by tomk, September 07, 2023, 11:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomk

Since years I'm using the Win64 version of Avidemux with the Nvidia/CUDA version of the H264 codec.
Now I feel that the Win64 version is a dead branch (last version of July 10th, 2023).
The download directory vsWin64 shows as most recent version a version of Sep 3rd, 2023.

Question 1: Is the Win64 branch really dead? Or are there newer versions to expect?

Question 2: When I tried the vsWin64 version, the Nvidia encoding was not offered (most recent Nvidia Driver is installed, graphics card is shown in the "Device Manager", the Win64 version worked flawlessly using the Nvidia encoder). Did I oversee something?

tomk

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: tomk on September 07, 2023, 11:17:37 AMWhen I tried the vsWin64 version, the Nvidia encoding was not offered (most recent Nvidia Driver is installed [...])

I didn't have an opportunity to check the latest nightly yet, NVENC working fine in my local cross-compiled  / MinGW ("win64") builds off the current git master. Will try to check tonight.

There was a big gap in official MinGW nightlies due to extended work-in-progress on fixing libva hwaccel related bugs, relevant for Linux only. The current lack of MinGW-built nightlies is probably the result of the build environment needing a big update. Other than that, all non-macOS build environments need an update of nv-codec-headers to satisfy the requirements of the newly added NVDEC functionality which allows AV1 decoding in hardware on recent NVIDIA graphics cards. Newer nv-codec-headers (now using 11.x) imply that old NVIDIA driver versions drop out of support, with 471.41 being the oldest compatible.

Quote from: tomk on September 07, 2023, 11:17:37 AMNow I feel that the Win64 version is a dead branch

Quite the opposite, all the work, done mostly on Linux and to a small extent on macOS only, is verified against (local) cross-builds. It is just the absence of official nightlies which makes a wrong impression.

eumagga0x2a

Yes, NVENC-based encoders are missing in the VC++ nightly, probably an update of the build environment needs to be done by the maintainer.