News:

--

Main Menu

MacOS Catalina latest supported version?

Started by FlavioB, January 21, 2024, 10:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlavioB

Hi.
I'm running avidemux 2.7.4 on MacOS Catalina (10.15.7) and when I run it, I am offered to upgrade to 2.8.0 but I do see that the latest version is 2.8.1
Is there a reason which doesn't allow me to upgrade to 2.8.1?
What's the latest compatible version running on Catalina?
Thanks!

eumagga0x2a

There is no such thing as "Avidemux not allowing to upgrade" – it is simply the file the update checker in Avidemux downloads from the server hasn't been updated since, well, 2.8.0. However, official builds, even despite being compiled with Catalina as deployment target, include libraries from Homebrew built for Monterey, which means they are incompatible with Catalina, rendering Avidemux pretty much useless.

On the other hand, I cannot recommend anything older than the bleeding edge, especially not an over a year old release. I fear, building Avidemux from source on your system is the only responsible thing I can recommend. At the same time I have no chance to test it myself (I can test only on Monterey and on Sonoma), so you are essentially on your own.

You can find macOS build instructions at https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2

FlavioB

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.
So do I understand it right, that on Catalina the latest compatible avidemux version is 2.7.4? I mean the precompiled one... I understand that I can eventually build 2.8.1 on my MacBook from sources - that's ok.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: FlavioB on January 21, 2024, 01:05:04 PMdo I understand it right, that on Catalina the latest compatible avidemux version is 2.7.4?

No, this is wrong, some of more recent versions you can find at https://www.fosshub.com/Avidemux-old.html should be able to run on Catalina. But this doesn't really matter, I think.

Quote from: FlavioB on January 21, 2024, 01:05:04 PMI understand that I can eventually build 2.8.1 on my MacBook from sources

Not worth wasting effort on 2.8.1, only the latest 2.8.2 git master may be of interest.

FlavioB

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 21, 2024, 03:59:25 PMNot worth wasting effort on 2.8.1, only the latest 2.8.2 git master may be of interest.
OK - I'll try compiling 2.8.2 on my Catalina MacBook.