How to fade last (extended) frame [Avidemux 2.8.1 release version on Windows]

Started by velw, January 27, 2024, 09:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

velw

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 09, 2024, 09:14:31 PM
Quote from: velw on February 09, 2024, 02:44:35 PMDoes the end of the "Fade to black" filter work the same way as the B marker, with the "end" marker of the fade not belonging to the fade?
It should, else it is a bug. The mathematical concept of a selection is universal.

That's great — thank you for confirming!

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 09, 2024, 09:14:31 PM
Quote from: velw on February 09, 2024, 02:44:35 PMif setting B to 00:14:33.080 ends the output before both filters are set to begin, why did the earlier frame get used for a "Still image" filter type effect when I had B set to that? Shouldn't the output video have ended before either of the filters kicked in?

This might be an effect of caching between the filter chain and video encoder (the default cache size is 3 pictures, if I am not mistaken). I'll check both findings later, thank you.

Thank you for checking that, and for all your help on figuring this out and applying the fix in the nightly build, as well.

Sorry for the late reply. After the last posts here I'd thought putting all this together would be straightforward, but when I tried to apply to the original edit what had worked successful for the two separate test edits — the "fade in from black"/"still image" start and the "fade out to black"/"still image" end — I ran across one final hurdle.

I ended up putting together another shorter test edit that combined the start and ending. Here are the settings that worked.

The hurdle (which those settings avoid) is that the additional time generated by the "still image" filter at the start needs to be added to all absolute timestamps for both the "still image" and "fade out to black" filters at the end. Sark mentioned this previously (quote below), but having been focused on the other issues and testing the start and end separately I hadn't yet encountered it.

Quote from: sark on January 28, 2024, 03:27:24 PMMore important, Fade out times must be appended to take into account 4 sec fade in.[/i]

As much as anything, this post is just to share the example of settings that do work to achieve the effect this thread was devoted to troubleshooting, so that if anyone else (or me!) visits it again in the future trying to achieve the same thing they may be able to skip some steps.

I've since reworked my original edit with this approach and it seems to be working — so thank you again to everyone who helped! 💗