News:

--

Main Menu

mpg opened incomplete

Started by borrax, February 21, 2024, 12:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borrax

I digitized old VHS-C videos with ARcsoft ShowBiz and got regular mpg-files of say 45 minutes. When opening them with AVIDEMUX, the file is dramatically reduced to sometimes less than a minute according to the time-line as well the properties (see example attached). Other video viewers show the video in full length. Windows filemanager confirms full length in file properties. Is there any solution to this problem, which prevents mpg-editing with AVIDEMUX? Thanks in advance for your support.
borrax / 2024 02 21     

eumagga0x2a

If the problem persists with the latest available nightly build (please don't forget to delete existing .idx2 index files to force re-indexing) and if the video is innocuous enough, please provide the source video as a sample via WeTransfer, Mega, Dropbox or Google Drive.

borrax

Thanks.
I use AVIDEMUX Version 2.8.1.
Does this version include the latest available nightly build?
I couldn't detect "nightly"-plugins or "nightly"-system-files.
I just deleted all idxs-files of the relevant directory.
Wrong file size problem persists.
I am ready to upload a sample-video on demand.
Thanks and regards
borrax

borrax

Thanks, but after updated to 2.8.2 > no change.
I deleted all idxs-files.
You may download an example file from here >
https://c.web.de/@400936150753090530/LK6XRjm5QA6fN215PV-t7A
Download by "Herunterladen"
The file has the 2 different properties mentioned in my first post.
Thanks in advance for your support.

eumagga0x2a

Thank you for the sample. Decode timestamps (DTS) in the video jump back at multiple occasions, but the file lacks navigation information which would allow Avidemux to "bridge the gap". Will try to look for a way to deal with such files regardless, but don't have time for that now, unfortunately.

borrax

Don't worry. I can live with it for a while. However, I would appreciate a solution to the problem. Thanks for your future endeavors. All the best. Regards   

eumagga0x2a

For now, the fastest way to proceed would be using ffmpeg to remux the file e.g. to MPEG-TS in copy mode

ffmpeg -i "/path/to/input file.mpg" -c copy -f mpegts "/path/to/output file.ts"
and then load the resulting file in Avidemux. By the way, FFmpeg prints dozens of colorful warnings about non-monotonous DTS in the source file. The software which has produced it should be diligently avoided.

borrax

Thanks for your solution, which leads me to the idea to convert all these crazy mpg-files into a proper  format in one go, say mp4. You are right by suggesting to forget the software which produced the problem. Meanwhile I am grabbing with my ViedoPad Editor and AVIDEMUX accepts its mp4-files. Again thanks for dealing with my problem.     

eumagga0x2a

MPEG-PS is a perfectly proper format for MPEG-2. MP4 is a perfectly proper format for more modern codecs. If you have a digitizer which outputs e.g. H.264 stored into a MP4 container, please make sure it takes care of deinterlacing before feeding pictures to video encoder.