How to use free app bar area for script icons?

Started by Silox, March 06, 2024, 08:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silox

Hi guys,

so I have a question or possible request. I like to write and use own scripts and choosing them via script menu to execute any of them I have in my list. I would like to know whether it could be possible to set custom icons and point them to any specific script I want to execute. Similar like the script shortcuts window I can set any script and connect it with any shortcut I want. So my idea is to do similar just with icons which should then get added & placed right in the icon bar below of the menus. In this app icon bar are just 4 app icons and there is so much free area we could use for that to place just script icons there. In this case we users could place our most used & favorite scripts in there we can access & execute quickly without to go over the menu itself. So what do you think? Can you add those feature or is it already doable?

eumagga0x2a

Why add any clutter when the keyboard is already there? Just hide the toolbar, it is nearly useless unless you work with HDR videos (as you mention 4 icons, I guess you don't).

I did think of adding a custom toolbar action (with icon) for a custom script (just a single one), I doubt the wish to have multiple icons is scalable, don't forget that the toolbar can be docked in vertical orientation or detached as a separate window. In any case, some enhancement in the direction is a nice-to-have / on my todo list in the next development cycle (if it ever happens).

Silox

So there are many people who prefer to work with mouse instead of shortcuts. Otherwise it's also better for people with any handicaps. So the new script icons can be same (just only a optional idea to set custom icons) but should showing the script title (tool tip) when you hover over it. You just need to add the icons into the toolbar which gets expand the more you add. Also no problem that you can move it on any other location so I don't see any problem there. That's right, it's a nice to have feature and it's up to you to install this in the future. Just try adding it in the next nightly builds which gets released all few weeks. Just try it. Thanks.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Silox on March 07, 2024, 08:41:41 PMJust try adding it in the next nightly builds

Definitely not. Likely after 2.8.2 release is out.

eumagga0x2a

@Silox, szlldm has swiftly contributed an implementation, please try a future nightly.