Avidemux 2.8.1 no found in Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Started by Andrej, August 26, 2024, 07:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrej

Good morning again. We are back to the same old story. Avidemux 2.8.1 does not work on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS. The program is downloaded (only via terminal, via app it does nothing), installed and used, it has sound, but no image is displayed. Does anyone have a solution? On Ubuntu 22.04 it worked perfectly, until a few days ago when I upgraded to 24.04. On an old PC, I managed to get it working, on the short-lived versions (23.04, 23.10). I am beginning to think that it is better not to update anything, the old ones work, the modern versions are the ones that always give problems.

eumagga0x2a

Do you try to run Avidemux on Wayland? This is unsupported, but it has been reported that there is a workaround: https://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/topic,20527.0.html

In doubt, please make sure you run it on Xorg.

In any case, you better build Avidemux from the latest git master (you don't need to install it in order to be able to run it).

Philo

Just wanted to say that we installed the Avidemux 2.8.1 release using the Gnome Software app (we removed snaps and snap support first thing after installing 24.04) and it got it from Flathub as a Flatpak, and so far I haven't seen the issue you describe (and it is running Wayland, not that I have any great love for Wayland, that's just how it came).  But then again I haven't been using it that long.

(And just because I am running Ubuntu on a desktop machine doesn't make me a Linux expert. I don't build software, except maybe on the rare occasion when someone provides a script that only needs to be run to do the build, and doesn't ask me any questions I have no idea how to answer.  But in this case the Flatpak version seems to be working great, so far.)

Andrej

Well, let me explain for those who are interested. It turns out that the jokers at Canonical have done it again. The version downloaded via terminal, flatpack I think they call it, does not give an image. But reading the responses to my previous post, a silly thing occurred to me, which I had not thought of. You have to download the appimage variant and on the desktop, ACTIVATE EXECUTABLE AS A PROGRAM in properties, because by default, it comes deactivated. It works for me now, but they removed this at the time and have changed it again, which I do not quite understand. IF SOMETHING WORKS, DON'T TOUCH IT! Take care of fixing what is wrong. In my case, I preferred the other version, it was more practical. This one takes up less space and you don't have to mess around with the terminal, which can be a disaster if you don't do things right. Anyway, that's all, I hope it helps someone. What awaits us in the next Ubuntu? Who knows! Not for a couple of years, I'm afraid...