convert image sequence into video file

Started by diego, May 06, 2009, 04:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diego

hi. I want to do an animation based on a png image sequence. I already have the sequence but I don\'t know how to convert it into a video file using avidemux2. could someone please tell me what to do? thanks

Agent_007

Name files like 0001.png, 0002.png,  0003.png etc. and then open the first file and AVIdemux should add the rest automatically.

Then set proper framerate via Video -> Frame rate, choose some codec for video and audio + container format. Then File -> Save -> Save video... and set filename and file extension.
I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

LoRd_MuldeR

You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already.
Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.

MuldeR's OpenSource stuff: http://muldersoft.com/

mountainman

You may want to try converting the png files to .jpg with imagemagick and see if avidemux can handle the jpg series.  I\'ve experienced the bug LoRd_MuldeR describes, and changing from a series of .png files to .jpg files seemed to fix the problem so far.  However, the problem also seems to be specific to some png images, and it also seems focused on the last image in the sequence.  Sometimes just removing/renaming the last png in the sequence seemed to fix the problem.  Also, if you can get this to read you will probably also want to add an audio track before saving the video, even if it is a .wav of pure silence (you can generate this with audacity).

Here is a basic imagemagick command to convert a png to jpeg.  You would need to write a short script to have it do this for all of your png files:
convert filename.png -quality 100%  filename.jpg

Another option would be to use dvd-slideshow to convert the series to video, especially if it is fairly short.  All you would need to do is create a text file with a line for each image in sequence like this:

frame1.png:0.034
frame2.png:0.034

Then run dvd-slideshow pointing to the text file you created with the -f switch, and also setting the audio/video format options you want the output to have.  

Also, ffmpeg and I believe mencoder can also both handle converting a sequence of images to video.  However, I don\'t know the specifics to offer here.

infiniteglitch

I know this is sort of off topic (as it\'s not Avidemux related), but in case it helps, the FFMPEG command is something like this (assuming that the images are \"image-001.png, image-002.png, etc.):

ffmpeg -f image2 -i image-%3d.png -r YOUR_FRAMERATE -s YOUR_DIMENSIONS output_video.avi

YOUR_DIMENSIONS should be formatted like so: 320x240 640x480 etc.

addana

I tried to do like Agent_007 said and it worked! Loaded all jpgs. But when trying to change the Frame rate, it didn't allowed me to set it under 1 frame per second.
As my video will have a few photos that users will see, they need more then 1 second per photo. I want to set it so that the image/frame will change once every 5 seconds, so a frame rate of 0,2 fps. But it does not allow me.

Is there any way of achieving this, apart of putting every image 5 times in a row in the original sequence?

turbine

I encountered the same problem with png and jpeg files, neither worked in 2.5.x

This seems like such a simple function, has it been addressed in 2.6?

Also: Frame rate restriction to 1.0+ in millisecond limits is...well, limiting.  I'd suggest 0.00001 increments, with 0.00001 the lowest possible value, and no upper value (perhaps 10,000,000 if necessary to set one). the frame rate resample function should be similarly modified.

Sometimes it's desirable to have uncommonly slow frame rates - a low bandwidth slideshow presentation, for example, which consists of video and lecture mostly made up of PowerPoint slides which get cycled typically once every ten seconds.  I created one of these myself recently for a 40kbps video stream of a 3 hour lecture.

Fixing audio sync is another reason to fine-tune frame rate (best if coupled with the resample frame rate filter to put it back to the standard 29.97 or other).

High speed cameras for scientific/engineering purposes are now capable of shooting millions of frames per second for ultra-slow motion analysis. No, it's not practical to project at that rate, but it may be desirable to process at that rate so timestamps, etc., are consistent.

ANYWAYS.... what other app works to create the initial video file from the png image sequence? Ideally one that exports into a lossless codec (such as a HuffYUV avi, etc) would be ideal.

Cheers,
Turbine