smart copy for H.264 videos

Started by sowosamma, September 09, 2009, 12:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sowosamma

Hi,

I am recording movies on my computer and use avidemux for cutting the commerial breaks. With DivX it works very well. But smart copy isn\'t available for H.264. Are there any plans if and when avidemux will be able to do smart copying with H.264?

/Andi

LoRd_MuldeR

I guess we need frame-accurate access to H.264 first, before we can think about \"Smart Copy\" for H.264 streams ;)

The upcoming Avidemux 2.6 may offer some improvements here...
You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already.
Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.

MuldeR's OpenSource stuff: http://muldersoft.com/

sowosamma

DarkZell666

Quote from: sowosammaand when will 2.6 be available?
When it\'s available. :lol:
Like most open-source software, there\'s no schedule, it just happens when it\'s ready ;)
t h i s i s n o t s o m e t h i n g r e l e v a n t

chrispitude

Just another vote for this feature - I would love to see Smart Copy for H.264 videos!

We are re-encoding kid's shows from our TiVo to H.264 (in MPEG4 containers) for our son to watch on an Android tablet. The transfer program batch-transfers the files, doing H.264 encoding on the fly to save space. I want to trim the beginning and end off the encoded files, but I want to avoid the runtime hit and quality loss of doing a full reencoding. Smart Copy would be perfect for my application.

Edit: just tried the Avidemux beta (2.6.0 r7907) and it "works" in that it no longer requires the A marker to be on a key frame, but the resulting video does not play in Windows or on my tablet. I'll follow up in the 2.6 section.