patch: restore keyboard shortcuts for Set Marker A/B

Started by jicama, February 27, 2012, 07:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jicama

In 2.5 there are keyboard shortcuts [ and ] for setting marks.  This patch adds them to 2.6 as well.

Agent_007

If Mean doesn't answer to this topic in next five days, bump this thread so I remember to ticket this.
I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

Jan Gruuthuse

2.6 Revision 7743:  Add keyboard shortcut to markA,B . Patch by jicama
from keyboard:
[ = or set marker A
] = or set marker B

douche

The set marker A works Ok, but the set marker B doesn't seem to be working.

Is it possible to fix this? The original patch is not avaible any more.

Thanks!

Jan Gruuthuse

Mark A and Mark B are working with Ubuntu 14.04.3 English (UK) on:

Qwerty US
Mark A: [ directly
Mark B: ] directly

Azerty French keyboard
Mark A: [Alt Gr] [5]
Mark B: [Alt Gr] [Ã,°]

This depends on the used OS, OS language and keyboard settings.
Please specify your used OS, OS language and keyboard settings.

perfectlyGoodInk

Are '[' and ']' supposed to work in the latest nightly 2.6 builds? They are not working for me, and the menu item for "Set Marker A" shows this weird command-up arrow with two horizontal lines through them. I had to Google this to find out this was page up, and I'm on a 13-inch, early 2011 Macbook Pro (and I'm from the U.S.), which means page up is Fn-Up.

I suppose I can get used to Cmd-Fn-Up (which does work for me), but it's certainly more awkward than '['.

Jan Gruuthuse

No: [ ] not workng.
Is replaced by:
[Ctrl][Pg up]  page up = Mark [A ]
[Ctrl][Pg dn]  page down = Mark [ B]

fish

'I' mark in and 'O' mark out seems like the logical choice for this because like a hole in the arse, everyone appears to have this in common.

Jan Gruuthuse

No need to use rude words (like a ... ....). You asked and reasoned.
I have only one reply "main developers prerogative"

AQUAR

This is another one of these useless fuzz topics.

The expression "someone's trash is someone else's treasure" comes to mind.
If end users really want to waste some time on which keys ADM should allocate to the mark in and mark out parameter - start a poll and come up with a predominant end user choice. Lets say "most voted on keys after 400 votes".

Of course, people will continue to argue for why it should be this or that key set.
In the end the author will simply select what suit his own vision for the program.

fish

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 18, 2016, 11:00:58 AM
No need to use rude words (like a ... ....). You asked and reasoned.
I have only one reply "main developers prerogative"

It is taken as a given that the developers should do what they think is best but the implication of having a forum is that people will express opinions, be they stupid opinions or useful opinions. Some good ideas were once regarded as stupid, so I support the right of stupid people to have their say...

AQUAR

The point here was not about expressing an opinion but it was about the way the opinion is expressed.
Associating a "hole where the sun never shines" as the "day and night" solution to some key associations is just rude.

I have a preference to keep the [ & ] as I am used to that with ADM.
I also realise there is only a little merit in pointing that out and so won't waste time on it.
Others may have a different preference and can express that with their reasoning.

Everyone will have to accept the final choice of the Author.

perfectlyGoodInk

Quote from: AQUAR on September 18, 2016, 12:49:47 PM
This is another one of these useless fuzz topics.

I know most of that was directed towards fish, but as I was the one who revived the topic, I didn't post a poll because I don't know how to and wasn't even sure if it was appropriate. Also, most polls use plurality voting that just don't scale well past two choices because they don't weigh how much a choice is liked or disliked to determine the true breadth of support (witness Trump, a non-Republican who won the Republican nomination largely because he split the opposition 14 ways). I recall Yahoo! groups supported Approval voting (vote for as many choices as you like, most votes wins), which is nice, although I think Condorcet is better, but I can't tell if this forum supports either of those because I still don't see how to create a poll here.

Besides, I'd prefer to direct my energies towards influencing the final vote by making arguments in favor of my preferred solution. I actually don't mind what key it ends up being as long as it's a single key instead of a 2 or 3-key combination. Also, if I get Cmd-Fn-Up wrong by leaving one of those out, it will seek the playhead (sometimes to the very beginning or end), which is rather annoying since I'd just spent some time finding that specific frame to cut at (and undo will not restore it). So, I'd prefer a key that is not as prone to that kind of mistake.

Also, I never use "Go to marker A/B" and would think that those functions get used less often than marking (you can't use them unless you've already set a marker). So, I would prefer that the seek functions be the one that require additional keys to use instead of the mark functions. I imagine there are others that set once and go many times, I dunno. I speak for me, not for them.

If the developers ignore or override my preferences, I'd understand. I just figured that they would be interested in hearing what they are. I know this isn't as high priority as a crash, but it does significantly impact the usability of the program for the aforementioned reasons, so I don't understand why anyone would consider it a useless fuzz topic.

fish

I agree with everything you have said, for what that's worth. Although I don't want to get into some sort of waste of time slagging match, I would also like to point out that none of the words that Aquar quoted were posted by me. I assume a language misunderstanding has put a phrase in his head, that means something different to the phrase that I actually used.
In plain English I simply meant, it would be logical to use keys that are present on every keyboard, sorry if the accompanying metaphor wasn't to everyone's taste.

AQUAR

@ fish
I just cleaned up your phraseology in an effort not to offend anyone else.
There is no language misunderstanding, but if you wish I'll explain by private email why your reply number 7 can be taken as "very rude".
But I think you already know that, judging from your last response.

@ perfectlyGoodink
The poll suggestion was a tongue in cheek one.
I agree totally that such an effort would not come any closer to solving this fuzz topic.
I call it a fuzz topic simply because the Author has his own reasons for changing this item and not even "nothing" is going to satisfy all end users.
I'd rather hear arguments from end users as to why the current key binding, for mark in and mark out, is a catastrophe for them.
A polite and substantiated reply is much more likely to influence the Author's development of this program (i.e. without "colourful" easily misconstrued language!). So you are right in that my comment was not directed at yourself (I like your last reply!) but as a modest opposition to the reply from fish, as well as MHO about the worth of this issue if the request's are without backbone.

I do have a pet peeve about people on any forum being offensive, self centred and unreasonable about things under discussion.
I recall not that long ago that an end user insisted that, when ADM crashed, it needed to provide a comprehensive error dialog (presumably in plain english!). We were never able to convince this individual about the impracticality of building in that sort of self diagnostics for a multi platform program, let alone a program that is described by the Author as a "simple video editor".