Asharp crashes version 2.5.6 - Dysfuntion

Started by rickyh, January 20, 2012, 11:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickyh

I have just tried to apply asharp to the filter list and on adding 'asharp', Avidemux crashes.

I have tried this with a number of source movies, at various standard resolutions, NTSC 4:3, PAL 4:3, and using mpeg2enc and MPEG4-AVC.

To re-produce, install Avidemux 2.5.6, open a source file (mine an MPEG1 vob from a DVD in NTSC 4:3), select 'Filters', select 'Sharpness', select 'asharp' and click green plus icon.

"Avidemux 2.5.6 has stopped working".

Regards
Richard

Agent_007

I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

Wam7

I had exactly the same issue using the same version on Win7 x64. ASharp causes a crash every time.

Shaker

Same here.. I'm using win7 , AMD FX8120 , 16gig.. Strange thing though.. it was working fine, defrag'ed the drive... it stopped

Jan Gruuthuse

Check if AntiVirus did put something away as virus or unwanted program in its vault or protected area where found viruses/unwanted programs are stored. Check the logs, do check windows defender logs, if active on your system. Could be the monthly malware removal program loaded with every windows update to. When you defrag nearly every file is read or accessed and seen by one of these protection measures in windows and could mess with some programs (parts).
Reinstall Avidemux and see if it works again?

nibbles

It works for me using 2.5.6, qt-4.8.0, and OpenGL video output, sharpening an MPEG2 unencrypted vob,
encoding with mpeg2enc (set to TFF interlace not progressive), and with MPEG-PS output format.
I tried this in debug mode and in release mode without error.

I also tried encoding with MPEG-4 AVC (which is x264), AC3, and saving to an mkv without problems.
Testing was done on Apple OSX Lion 10.7.3, using the llvm-gcc compiler from XCode 4.2.1.
Ok good luck.

rickyh

Ok, sorry for delay in re-posting.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit.

I tried installing the QtSDK for windows in the hope of finding the new versions of QtCore4.dll, QtGui4.dll and QtOpenGL4.dll and replacing the ones in that Avidemux 2.5.6 installs by default.  However the dlls in the SDK were substantially different in size and did not work.

Typically in Linux/ xNIX/ OSx programs are compiled against installed libraries and so it would be straightforward to try updating the Qt library and recompiling Avidemux against it.  However, I guess the Qt dlls provided as part of the Windows binary build are compiled specifically against the older version of Qt.

The asharp filter worked with the previous version of Avidemux.  I am now going to un-install and re-install Avidemux 2.5.5 for the task I want to perform for which I want to use asharp.

I have checked the obvious issues with anti-virus, quarantine, .exe locking etc. and this is not the problem.

Regards
Richard

rickyh

More info:

I just installed the 32-bit version of Avidemux 2.5.6 on WIndows 7 64-bit and asharp works with no problem.

I hope this information helps someone to tie down the problem.

Regards
Richard

nibbles

It might help the developer, yes, as he would know how Avidemux uses 64bit commands to manipulate data in and out of RAM and in the CPU special registers like MMX and SSE.  When you describe a crash like that, it is likely that sort of assembly language issue, but they are very hard to debug. Now that development has moved to the 2.6 branch, working on a single plugin for 64bit Windows is not a priority.  I'm really glad you were able to find a workaround.  Let us know if it's broken in 2.6 when you have some time to experiment.  Thanks.