It is not clear that MPEG-4 AVC is x264

Started by sup, January 19, 2013, 03:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sup

I am on Avidemux 2.5.4 so this might have been already fixed (or it might be linux specific thing), but I wanted to encode a video with x264 and it was not clear to me that I was to use MPEG-4 AVC. Could x264 be added to parentheses to make this clearer? (it might have been done already judging by this post:  http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/linux-dvd-video/how-to-convert-a-video-to-xvidx264-using-avidemux ). I had to google this and this is not the first time I was confused.

Jan Gruuthuse

update to 2.6.1 for your OS, as you guessed it shows (x264)

thany

Disagree. x264 is just a software codec like DivX or Xvid. The proper name for the video codec you need is MPEG-4 AVC or H.264.

Putting x264 in parentheses is silly, you might as well put all other AVC-capable encoders in there as well.

styrol

Quote from: thany on March 15, 2013, 03:37:25 PM
Putting x264 in parentheses is silly, you might as well put all other AVC-capable encoders in there as well.
No, it's certainly not silly, you see what encoder is used. There are huge differences in speed and options using e.g. the QuickTime implementation for MPEG-4 AVC encoding and the x.264 encoder.