News:

--

Main Menu

Avidemux 2.6.4 problems

Started by phaolo, June 01, 2013, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phaolo

I see that version 2.6.4 is still very unstable..
It would be good to state it clearly in the main page and not only inside the forum.   :P

Anyway, these are the problems I've found so far (WinXP SP3):
1- deleting parts of a movie often causes a crash (without info or "set to 0 ms" error). "Reset edits" also caused a runtime error.
2- opening medium-big files is damn slow! Worst are AVI (it takes about 1-2sec multiplied x file minutes duration) and MKV are slow. "Cancel" button, then, doesn't work.
3- options for subtitles and chapters are not planned? Even when using "copy" method, they get messed up or deleted in the output.
4- I can't play big mkv files in avidemux 2.6.4 because they almost freeze my computer (not happening in 2.5.4 or Vlc), even when setting normal or low threading priority for playback. If I try it, I have to kill the process.
5- open or save dialogs don't remember the folders and reset to program directory. Please add an option to use file location\last folder\custom dir.
6- avidemux volume bar is always set to max at start; modifying that, unlike many other programs, changes global Windows Wave volume, which is quite bad when you need fixed settings for recordings.
7- I have an english OS with italian keyboard and date. Avidemux interface shows both languages!? lol

Does anyone have these problems too?
I hope that these can be fixed!

Shotokan81

Hi

Just for fun as I do not really mind for the time being: I have a mac bought in Japan, I turned OSX in English, but half of the error messages are in Japanese :)

Jan Gruuthuse

Xp and having this issues: clean your temporaries with ccleaner or similar software.
Still issues: memory? stop all none essential programs.
Bottleneck to hard disk? OS clogged? Video card? .... Install 64-bits ubuntu 12.04  on 2nd hard disk  or removable hard disk. Runs smoothly on core i5-2500K, would run on core i3-2100. If videocard nvidia: enable vdpau otherwise opengl support, don't select opengl as video display.
If issues still there with ubuntu = hardware issue, if not windows XP issue.
Realtime demo core i5, nvidia geForce GT 520

mean

Do you have repeatable way to reproduce the crashes ?

phaolo

Shotokan81
yes, it's a minor issue, but lol ^_^

Mean
I tried some tests to replicate the crashes. For now I got this:
A- open a movie, go to next keyframe, set end selection, delete, reset edit, delete current auto-selected part --> crash "Error set seekting to 0"   (seekting?)
B- when I try to jump to start\end of a movie (using interface button or keys), avidemux sets position to Xms\1s after\before the real start\end or even causes "Error seekting to X ms" (X is a number)

Do you have any comment for the other issues meanwhile?

Jan Gruuthuse
I use XP because I have an old 32bit single core computer. It can, however, run both 2.5.4 and Vlc normally.. are the requirements higher than before?
About the advices, I started to try them and.. a weird thing happened.
I enabled only vdpau because I have an Nvidia and.. yess, playback worked..but no audio. I tried to disable it again and..  playback still worked good!? (but no audio)
I didn't use ccleaner, restart, defragment or other things, and the system seems fine, so wtf I'm just puzzled.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: phaolo on June 03, 2013, 12:04:31 PM
Jan Gruuthuse
I use XP because I have an old 32bit single core computer. It can, however, run both 2.5.4 and Vlc normally.. are the requirements higher than before?
Yes, when working with newer codecs and larger resolutions like 720p or 1080i/p
QuoteI enabled only vdpau because I have an Nvidia and.. yess, playback worked..but no audio. I tried to disable it again and..  playback still worked good!? (but no audio)
vdpau: linux only

QuoteI didn't use ccleaner, restart, defragment or other things, and the system seems fine, so wtf I'm just puzzled.
My understanding: windows uses more resources. On older computer with lesser memory and ide hard disc interface, you sooner reach limits of what you still can do.

mean

Do you have a multicore cpu ?

Jan Gruuthuse

no has not multicore cpu:
Quote from: phaolo on June 03, 2013, 12:04:31 PM
Jan Gruuthuse
I use XP because I have an old 32bit single core computer.

and if it is one of those old AMD not supporting some instructions.

mean

2.6 is heavily targetted for multicore cpu
It is probably much slower than 2.5 on single core

phaolo

Quote2.6 is heavily targeted for multicore cpu
Oh, I see. Well, I can stand some bearable sluggishness, if the program works anyway.

Quoteand if it is one of those old AMD
You got it Jan, my poor computer is an 8+ years old AMD Athlon xp 2800+

QuoteYes, when working with newer codecs and larger resolutions like 720p or 1080i/p [..] My understanding: windows uses more resources. [..]
Well ok, but that isn't exactly an Avidemux 2.6.4 requirement and those movies were all <480p.
Anyway, I think that the temporary playback problem was caused by my external drive.

Could you, then, reproduce my errors too?

mean

That error is simple to reproduce
Load a video and hit CTRL+X

I fixed it this morning, looking into the others

Jan Gruuthuse

I believe the issue is with cpu [ Bug #18542 ] new Avidemux versions crash immediately (AMD Athlon XP, 2083 MHz (12.5 x 167) 2800+)
I had a similar issue with laptop, the original posting is no longer on the forum: da stimmt etwas nicht mit bestimmten AMD-Prozessoren

phaolo

QuoteI believe the issue is with cpu [ Bug #18542 ] new Avidemux versions crash immediately
That happened in the first 2.6.0 versions, but seems to be fixed in 2.6.4.
I don't know if the temporary playback slowness (not happened again) or the missing audio (still there) are caused by that too.

Version 2.5.4 is still great, but it's not suitable for editing multi-track movies and it adds an unwanted title tag in mp4 files, so I'll probably wait for a better 2.6.5  :P
Thanks for the support  :)

pchristy

One thing I have found that makes quite a difference to stability (with 64-bit Linux, anyway) is the selection of the right audio device.

For a while I was plagued with an issue where I could join / split / transcode / do anything except PLAY the file! As soon as I did that, Avidemux would lock solid, and only a Ctl_Alt_Esc would rescue it. No error messages, nothing - just a solid lock! Then I discovered that selecting OSS instead of Alsa default for the sound output fixed it, but at the expense of some audio sync anomalies (OSS is an old Linux sound system that has been superceded, but compatibility files are there on most systems.)

Finally, after a bit of fiddling around, I discovered that selecting a specific Alsa device (in my case, AlsaHw0) instead of the default or dmix options provided a complete cure! Since I did that, no more crashes, no more dubious sync, and everything just seems to run a LOT smoother!

In short, have a look through your system preferences - you might find that using something other than the default options works better!

Pete
--
Pete

phaolo

-pchristy
Oh, I've seen your post just now, sorry.
I've selected in preferences   downmixing->stereo  and  devices->win32  and the audio seems to work for now.

-mean\Jan
Maybe I've found another bug while shifting ac3 audio tracks in an .avi file.
If I do +1000 or -1000 the output file always seems -1000 !? Damn I went crazy on that  :o