Run project by commandline crashes every time

Started by thany, August 25, 2013, 03:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thany

It really does. No matter which of my projects I run, they always crash. All of them, every time. These are actually projects saved by going to file->queue from within avidemux. This whole process works fine on the x64 version. But I have to get this working on the x86 version, too. And why am I running queued jobs manually? Well, the avidemux_jobs.exe is pretty shit. As explained in one of my other topics. It just doesn't work. It's a complete mess. Seems like it's been hacked together and never tested once.

Oh, and when I run avidemux manually and manually load the project file... Same crash happens. Seems like I can't run projects for now. This of course makes avidemux highly unusable for me, because I tend to process more than one file at a time and would LIKE to walk away. This way though, I have to keep watching it IF it doesn't crash, and if it does, I'm screwed.

Enough about that. The crash. admlog is attached. the executing py file is attached, too.

Please ask for more info, if needed.

AQUAR

@ thany
Let me offer my humble opinion, and for everyone that disagrees please try to refrain from calling me rude.

My understanding is that this version of avidemux is a beta program under continuous development.
Therefore ALL endusers are beta testers (guinea pigs if you like!).

Constructive and detailed feedback is of course part of the process in progressing such programs.
And such feedback is well received here at this forum.

When I read your posts (not just this one!) they mostly seem to be colourfully formulated from a mistaken perspective that this is a finished product.
That it is in fact a product with all features enabled, all options proven, working across all platforms and bugs are unforgivable

Accentuated grumblings like "this bit is shit", "I'm screwed", "its a complete mess" are tiresome reading for others and very unnecesarry fluff in providing proper feedback on beta programs.
People are likely to read these post's and pass them over even if you make valid points (IMHO).

This free program has limited resources backing it and so even priority things will take time to be adressed.
Why not try a fine commercial program like Squeeze to get the experience you seem to demand.

All I am saying is - continue to post your observations but express them with a little bit of respect and understanding.

thany

Re-read my last sentence. I don't like repeating myself.
And, it just happened on the x64 version as well.

To reply to your.. let's say, colorful statement: you should understand people get frustrated when something just doesn't want to work no matter what they try. I JUST can't get it to work. You shouldn't be surprized I'm at least a tiiiny bit frustrated.

Also, Avidemux 2.5.x had none of these problems. Adding to the frustration even more.

/edit
Attached is another admlog.txt which looks to be more complate than my previously attached one. This one is from the x64 version and it includes a backtrace. Probably quite helpful in pinpointing the cause?

AQUAR

I understand your frustration perfectly well, but you are asking for that by trialling a beta program.
Hence I (and probably others) get frustrated by reading your posts when they contain a lot of expletives.

Just relay your observations without the expletives (tone it down a bit).
I bet you are learning plenty about video processing because of the nature of this beta program.

Now if  2.5.6 works for you then why insist on the frustrating 2.6.4 version?
I continue to use 2.5.6 with avisynth as a preprocessor, and trial 2.6.4 for fun and support.

Its all good.

thany

I do use 2.5 when I can, but it has so many bugs when loading MP4 and WMV files, it's untrue. I have reported them, but I don't believe they have ever been fixed. The devs are probably working hard on the 2.6 branch, which is good, but as a result, 2.5 appears to be frozen.

And MP4 and WMV is exactly the kind of files that I need to import all the time, hence my attempt to move to 2.6.

But, about this topic. I attached admlogs and a py file that crashes avidemux. Do you need anything else? I'll be more than happy to provide, but like I said: just ask.

AQUAR

Its frozen because it was designed for the older codecs and containers. It works very well within those constraints.
V2.6.4 is brand new code behind the GUI, time based instead of frame based, targeted at AVC and newer containers, hence beta, hence you know what.

Now I am just an end-user like you, so can't help you decipher the clues in admlogs or py files.
If avidemux strangely crashes for me (and it does!), I delete such files that avidemux builds during run times.
Problem goes away and I try again, if still no good then I look for a work around, and if that fails I try another bit of software.
If all else fails I use someone elses bit of software (like squeeze because I can't afford that one myself).

If your MP4 or WMV has VFR AVC in it (first thing I would check) then use avisynth to frame serve it to avidemux 2.5.6 as a CFR raw video stream and recode to your needs. Works for me quite nicely.
I also try avidemux 2.6.4 as it has my curiousity and I see a huge potential in the making.
I support it by giving feedback as best I can,  and don't use it for anything serious as per advice from the developers.

Short version - there is always a solution - you need to discover them with blood sweat and tears like the rest of us - and sometimes its not free.

thany

This case is a little bit worse than what you describe. Like I said, avidemux crashes right after loading up one of the py files from the queue. Every time, for all of them. Well, it works exactly once. Maybe it was just the one project file that was working, but I deleted it and the source files (because it worked) so I can't know if there are any differences to speak of.

Because they are py files, I can't use them in avidemux 2.5
Because they concern files that will produce out-of-sync results (every time) in avidemux 2.5 which is precisely what's been fixed in v2.6, I "have" to use v2.6, as per the dev's advice.
Because they are ready-to-run projects, and a lot of them, re-adding them to any other software (including v2.5) will take a lot of time.

I'm happy to try workarounds or other solution, but because of the above, I feel backed against the wall. I hope you can understand that.

Can you suggest anything, anything at all, that I can do to further investigate the issue? Because don't get me wrong, ranting is one thing, but I still want to software to work.
Call me passionate. Or something :)

thany

I have discovered three more things that may or may not help in fixing this issue.

1) The backtrace never gets generated on the x86 version, but it does on the x64 version.
2) The crash.py that gets generated during the crash is always 0 bytes.
3) Completely removing the AppData\avidemux AND Program Files\Avidemux directories and starting over makes no difference.

I also took r8885 just to be sure. Sadly, previous nightlies are no longer available. If I could, I would test them and see if one of them works. That way a dev could make a diff between the two, and get a clue to what the cause might be.

mean

Could you try the following :
Load a simple file (short avi for example)
do nothing and add it to queue, save as c:\xxx.avi
exit

Launch job control and execute it with qt4 interface

Does that work for you ?
For info, i just tried on win7-64/avidemux 64 bits, no problem

AQUAR

@ thany

Passionate is fair  ;).
If you have lots of videos to convert then I feel for your need to queue.

cliffshit

Quote from: mean on August 26, 2013, 06:05:29 PM
Could you try the following :
Load a simple file (short avi for example)
do nothing and add it to queue, save as c:\xxx.avi
exit

Launch job control and execute it with qt4 interface

Does that work for you ?
For info, i just tried on win7-64/avidemux 64 bits, no problem

After some tests with various files and containers: It works perfect at all here on WinXP SP3 x86 and avidemux_2.6.4_r8887_win32.exe.
Only that the job list is only visible when quit main program first?

By the way: The year in "About" window could be changed too... or planned for 2014? ;)

Thanks for the good work!