Newbie needs help editing a VOB - Avidemux crashes

Started by GibsonGK55, September 30, 2013, 10:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GibsonGK55

Hello,

I am a novice and I have a DVD format with 3 VOB sections.  I just installed the latest version of Avidemux 2.6.6 (r8941)  I opened the first one, then CTRL-A and opened the 2nd one.   (I only need a portion of these 2 sections).  I deleted the section I do not want and what is left in the preview I want to save as an MP4 file.  I keep getting messages only mpegaudio and AAC audio format available and so on.  I play around with the different video and audio output options and at last it says encoding and then nothing ... program not responding.  Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Gibs

bernd_b

I loose you at "I play around with the different video and audio output options".

Could describe a working flow which could be repeated step by step? So there is a chance to narrow down your problem. As far as I see for now you may have choose in between an output format which only supports the audio formats you mentioned.

GibsonGK55

I chose many different output options.  For instance Mpeg4 AVC (x264) for video and AAC (Faac) for audio, output format Mp4 Muxer.

Then I click save, put in a filename and I get .. Encoding.....  "not responding"... crashed.

After that I have tried other options like the ones above in the drop down boxes but no combination works.  Could you please tell me what options to choose that might work?

Thank you for your help.

Gibs

bernd_b

Strange.

I've just converted a vob-file (source was a DVD as well) to x264 using mp3-Audio. But I chose the mkv-container. No Crashes etc. If I'll find the time the following week-end, I'll try mp4 with my source to narrow down the problem.

AQUAR

I did some test runs with DVD source material.
No issues loading sequential VOB's and recoding them to any other format.

If the DVD source is retail then don't forget there is the usual encryption. 

twinsun

Like AQUAR, never had a problem encoding DVD source ( I hate DVD "slowy" menus ).
I encode mainly x264/aac.mp4 for quite a while ( r8928 ).
I know it doesn't help,  but ...
Do you try on a short segment of a single VOB ?

twinsun

Of course, for your own use, you need to decript your own DVD, before using Avidemux.
Avidemux is not a decripting tool, as far as I know.