News:

--

Main Menu

Drag and drop append appears to be broken.

Started by fish, January 20, 2019, 06:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish

I have just tried appending 3 mp4 files with 'avidemux_r190108_win64Qt5_13' and 'avidemux_r190118_win64Qt5_18' both fail to append the files. The last old 'major' release appends them successfully. Does anyone else see this, I'm on Win7 Pro 64bit.

edit. I tried again using 'avidemux_r190118_win64Qt5_18' but this time using File>Append in the drop down menu and that works ok, so the solution I suppose is use that. I remember a while back someone was grumbling about drag and drop append for some reason I can't recall. Has this drag and drop function been removed?

eumagga0x2a

No changes for drag-n-drop-to-append intended, WFM with a build containing a fix for the issue mentioned in https://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/topic,18574.0.html. Any non-ASCII characters in file names?

fish

No, all the names were very ordinary English and short. When dragging and dropping, the first file loads, the following two don't and the export is just the first file. The avidemux zip file is simply unzipped to a folder using 'checkout' and launched from the 'avidemux.exe' file. Could that be causing a problem? Can you reproduce what I see with 3 small mp4's?

eumagga0x2a

I didn't try with more than two files yet (the first one loaded using File --> Open and the second one drag-n-dropped onto Avidemux window), which worked fine exporting both in a single video. I'll recheck with multiple source videos.

fish

I also tried what you did ie loaded the first file using  File>Open and dragged/dropped the other two. Only the first one loaded and saved. I also tried with just two files, with the same result. Dragging/dropping all three does work fine with the last main release version.

eumagga0x2a

I can't reproduce it with my local mingw builds off the ffmpeg4x branch, drag-n-dropping 4 files loads the first one and appends the remaining 3, saving the video exports all 4 in a single video. Tested also with file names containing CJK and cyrillic characters.

Please recheck once new official nightlies become available.

fish

Just returning to this because I have noticed that drag and drop append works most of the time, sometimes it will work with 5 out of six files or maybe 4 out of six and sometimes it doesn't work at all. I usually edit files individually before using append, so they should all at least start with an I-Frame. Of course the drop down menu append works so it's no show stopper, just an observation.

eumagga0x2a

Are there any clues from admlog.txt when appending multiple files using drag and drop partially or completely fails?

fish

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on March 29, 2019, 09:47:52 PM
Are there any clues from admlog.txt when appending multiple files using drag and drop partially or completely fails?

...There might be...if I knew what to look for...
Next time I see the problem I will have a look at admlog.txt and who knows, maybe it will make sense to me. Could you give me a clue as to what I should be looking for or is it a case of, 'if you knew that, you would have tried to fix it already'?

eumagga0x2a

It would be already immensly useful if you just preserve log files from sessions when you experienced problems with drag and drop for later examenation. I would like to check whether Avidemux registers at all that something is inbound, maybe the append fails somewhere in Qt so that the application doesn't get a clue. 

fish

Saving the log files would not be a problem, although I have a feeling that I could be staring at the problem without realising. I will look in file, who knows, it might make some sense to me but ultimately you or someone else knowledgeable would need to see it, along with details of which file/files failed etc. I've been using the function quite often lately so the problem should show itself soon.

fish

I have just tried to use drag and drop append on 4 files, it failed using drag and drop but succeeded using append in the drop down menu. I saved the log files from both attempts and will compare them and have attached the files on this post because ultimately someone with more knowledge than me will need to see them. Log 1 is the fail, log 2 was the success.

edit. I should add that when I drag the 2nd 3rd and 4th file in, I get the arrow and plus sign in the viewer but when I release the mouse button nothing happens. I don't know whether comparing the two logs can help as nothing appears to happen when I release the mouse button to drop the file in.

fish

I will try a few tests later with different types of file. I think chopping up a small file into 4 pieces and trying to put it back together, using both append methods, would be a good test. The files in the logs I attached were parts of a live stream

eumagga0x2a

Thank you, the first log lets me think that the issue is purely within Qt / Windows Explorer and out of our control. Nevertheless, would it be thinkable for you to test a patched (the patch is attached to the post) private MinGW win64 build off the current ffmpeg4x git branch? I've uploaded it to WeTransfer.

The idea is to try out whether basically reverting https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2/commit/35843f11fddd83a8b985c459439bea2945ca5d71 and using the stock QDropEvent directly in the event filter instead of constructing an intermediate user defined event makes a difference (I would not expect it, but I might miss something).

eumagga0x2a

Another possibility would be to test drag and drop from a different file manager, e.g. Total Commander.

By the way, why didn't you upgrade to 2.7.3? BMP image loading and WMAPRO decoding were fixed in the two days which separate the nightly build you use from the release.