News:

--

Main Menu

Avidemux2.7.9-dev version (old thread)

Started by butterw, February 17, 2021, 10:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butterw

This new font looks awful on Windows, is there a way to override it ?
If not I'll have to stick with dev version r210215_.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: butterw on March 01, 2021, 05:10:38 PMis there a way to override it ?

By building your own patched version of Avidemux.

butterw

This is a major issue I think.
There should at least be a way to override to keep Avidemux usable until a better solution can be found.

eumagga0x2a

If too many users on Windows complain, I have no issue with making it Linux- and macOS-only as I have no personal reason to want it this way or another on Windows.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: butterw on March 01, 2021, 05:14:10 PMThere should at least be a way to override to keep Avidemux usable

Please don't exaggerate.

butterw

- I've never noticed the issue this is supposed to address, does it exist on Windows ?
- There are plenty of popular cross-platform GUIs, it's hard to believe this is the best available option.
- Avidemux is a mature GUI that hasn't seen a interface change in years, most users are probably not new users, so any change has to provide a clear improvement. Without a doubt this LCD font looks a lot worse than what was available previously. It's very hard to read (on Windows) despite being a much larger font size.

- Why not make the font for The GUI user customizable ?
There are certainly better fonts available on Windows (including the platform fonts).

eumagga0x2a

It turns out to be that whatever default font is used on Windows 10 (Segoe UI?), the digits are actually monospaced thus avoiding shifting. This renders the use of a custom monospace font to fix shifting a solution in search of a problem on Windows, so I've made it macOS- and Linux-only.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: butterw on March 01, 2021, 06:53:56 PMAvidemux is a mature GUI that hasn't seen a interface change in years, most users are probably not new users, so any change has to provide a clear improvement.

This was the reason to introduce the solution with the custom font as it is an improvement over variable-width fonts (except of on the majority platform, which is now sorted out).

Quote from: butterw on March 01, 2021, 06:53:56 PMWithout a doubt this LCD font looks a lot worse than what was available previously.

Sorry, I don't agree. It fits well the thumb slider, even more resembling a physical device interface (which I value a lot).

Quote from: butterw on March 01, 2021, 06:53:56 PM- Why not make the font for The GUI user customizable ?

IMHO, all interfaces should inherit the system-wide font choices whenever possible for the sake of consistency. Time display in Avidemux is a special case as it has to deal with rapidly changing content which may pose a problem with variable width fonts so it generally makes sense to hardcode it to a custom solution as I didn't find a satisfactory platform-specific solution with available monospace fonts.

butterw

Looking at screenshots, it looks like the bottom part of the LCD font isn't displaying correctly on my Windows system, making it very hard to read. I haven't seen screenshots on linux/mac so I'll reserve my judgment on whether it can be an improvement there.
A lot of this is subjective of course, still with a wide range of display sizes, and with different user expectations as to what an editor GUI should look like, it would probably be a lot safer to make the fonts user configurable (on Windows at least, this is a very common GUI feature).

eumagga0x2a

I've made a screenshot, attached to this post, what time display looks like on my desktop with E1234 font.

butterw

GUI text is displayed a lot smaller on my system apparently (Win10 @1080p), and the bottom of the LCD font is like chewed, which makes it unreadable. Might be caused by the ClearType text tuner ?

From your screenshot, it looks OK but a bit weird. A normal font with monospace digits would be more readable.

Note: Attachments are only visible if you are logged in, it seems.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: butterw on March 01, 2021, 10:16:38 PMA normal font with monospace digits would be more readable.

From purely utilitarian POV, probably yes, but this solution has a benefit of maximally reducing flicker and provides a reference to physical world (thinking about digital recorders with such displays). A "normal" fixed width font looks somewhat inconsistent and usually has a zero with a central slash or dot, very helpful for coding but alien to normal users. Already tried that.

Anyway, I acknowledge that the issue of rapidly shifting text doesn't affect Windows 10 with the default font, so Windows users of the release version won't get to see a digital clock look.

budda

Possible on modern monitors font looks too small. So need better type of report: monitor size ``, screenshot.
My monitor 24`` Dell 1920x and visually all fine. Possible need just 2x view mode for modern large monitors.

Testing last beta few days, after coding a lot of video was see just minor problem. Once program was running using total 4GB+ of ram (even when i closed video but keep program open). After restart all become normal, and wasnt repeat again. (Task Manager> Program avidemux.exe was 300mb+ like always but total ram used was displays as 5.1GB Ram used.  Also sometimes when loading large file from HDD, HDD start work very loud on Win7 and slow. Reboot helps. And main windows on fast SDD. If log need i can send it.

Small features that can be useful- copy paste timecode (copy now possible but not paste). If loaded few segments of video need some neutral visual marker to view transient position.

szlldm

eumagga0x2a

Thank you for pointing me to DSEG fonts. It was an epic effort for a first-time FontForge user like me to adapt one of these fonts to the needs of Avidemux, however :-)