Latest Nightly...why do I have to choose view for each video loaded now??

Started by Ronstang, September 02, 2021, 03:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronstang

I've been using Avidemux forever and I always have it open in "zoom 1:2" so I can keep it in a small enough window to use the other things open on my desktop.  I just upgraded to the latest nightly and all of a sudden I have to choose the view each time I open a video and it defaults to something that is almost the whole desktop so I have to choose the view each time.  This is really annoying as I can edit quite a few videos in an evening.  Is there any way to get it to act like it did in the past and have it default open in the zoom I choose?

THanks

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Ronstang on September 02, 2021, 03:36:55 AMhave it default open in the zoom I choose?

This possibility never existed. Never. The behaviour was changed from the maximum power-of-two zoom value without upscaling fitting into the available desktop space to maximum float zoom value without upscaling fitting into the available desktop space. There are winners and losers depending on the dimensions of the videos they edit and the properties of the desktop like size, resolution, DPI value, height of the dock / taskbar etc. However, it is much easier to go from maximum available float value to a smaller power-of-two zoom as the other way, so losers of now are better off than losers of the earlier behaviour.

szlldm

Now the default is zoom 1:1, unless if it would be too big to fit the display, then it will be downscaled to fit.
IMHO it is hard to edit a content if you cant see it as is, which 1:1 zoom provides.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: szlldm on September 02, 2021, 09:50:15 AMNow the default is zoom 1:1

Just to be clear, 1:1 zoom has always been the default. The downscaling behaviour was modified approx. 5 months ago.

Who

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on September 02, 2021, 09:16:14 AM
Quote from: Ronstang on September 02, 2021, 03:36:55 AMhave it default open in the zoom I choose?

This possibility never existed. Never. The behaviour was changed from the maximum power-of-two zoom value without upscaling fitting into the available desktop space to maximum float zoom value without upscaling fitting into the available desktop space. There are winners and losers depending on the dimensions of the videos they edit and the properties of the desktop like size, resolution, DPI value, height of the dock / taskbar etc. However, it is much easier to go from maximum available float value to a smaller power-of-two zoom as the other way, so losers of now are better off than losers of the earlier behaviour.

Nobody would need to be a loser if you would just relent and give us an option to have the behavior each user prefers, instead of forcing there to be winners and losers.  ::)

Who

Quote from: szlldm on September 02, 2021, 09:50:15 AMNow the default is zoom 1:1, unless if it would be too big to fit the display, then it will be downscaled to fit.
IMHO it is hard to edit a content if you cant see it as is, which 1:1 zoom provides.
Not everyone uses Aviedmux to edit content, at least not in the way you are thinking.  Some of us use it primarily for slicing and dicing, in other words trimming out parts of videos or in some cases moving them using copy and paste operations.  And we really don't need Avidemux taking over our entire screen for that.

Ronstang

Never existed?  Then Why did mine ALWAYS open up to what amounts to 1:2.....it's been doing so for over 6 years for me.  I use this program EVERY day and until last night's install it worked fine....now it is a pain in the rear.

Losers?  I don't care what it loses....I do one thing with this program and that is edit out commercials.  I don't care about the quality of what I can and can't see in the video.  I just need to know where the breaks are. 

PLEASE give us the option to choose the default, it's ridiculous for it not to be a choice.

I love this program, I use it every day to trim down my recorded cable TV content before I compress and archive it.

Ronstang

I just downgraded to version 2.7.9 r210326 that I was running last night until I upgraded and voila....it opens in 1:2 like it always has for me for years.

BUT....I want the new version to do this because I really like the new feature of leaving a bookmark where I edited out a commercial.

Any ideas????

Ronstang

No ideas?  It's working just as I stated in my first post.  Been using it this morning and each video opens in 1:2 as I want.

Ronstang

Quote from: Who on September 02, 2021, 07:17:38 PMNot everyone uses Aviedmux to edit content, at least not in the way you are thinking.  Some of us use it primarily for slicing and dicing, in other words trimming out parts of videos or in some cases moving them using copy and paste operations.  And we really don't need Avidemux taking over our entire screen for that.

Exactly. That is how I use it.  And I love it.  I use it everyday, probably more than any other manual program.  I'm sorry I don't take advantage of it's full power, but I don't really need to.  It works brilliantly for removing parts of recorded content I don't want and fantastic for appending the ending of a movie when it ends up in the next recording due to bad guide data.

It's a great program.  I will be sad if I have to stick with the version I downgraded to just so I don't have to resize the window each time...but when you use it several dozen times an evening that is aggravating.

Ronstang

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on September 02, 2021, 06:52:17 PMJust to be clear, 1:1 zoom has always been the default. The downscaling behaviour was modified approx. 5 months ago.

Has something changed?  I just tried the latest nightly build and every TV recording I have edited so far opens to a zoom of 73%....which is not even a choice in the view menu. It is better than consuming my whole desktop but still too big for my taste so I have to change the view for each edit session.

I really like some of the new features and don't want to downgrade.  Is there no way to have an option to open in the view of choice or auto?

Thanks as always...I use this program daily.

eumagga0x2a

Since over a year, if there is not enough space to display a video at 100% zoom, automatic zoom is chosen with the goal to leave some "breathing space" around the window frame (we take the maximum zoom level possible with the given screen real estate and multiply the value with 0.85), please see https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2/blob/master/avidemux/qt4/ADM_userInterfaces/ADM_gui/Q_gui2.cpp and search for "UI_getMaximumPreviewSize".

Quote from: Ronstang on March 02, 2022, 05:25:45 AMIt is better than consuming my whole desktop but still too big for my taste

The value of the zoom reduction factor represents a middle ground between personal preferences of the two main code contirbutors.