News:

--

Main Menu

Mixed questions about Avidemux

Started by Silox, February 21, 2023, 08:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sark

Quote from: szlldm on March 03, 2023, 01:52:11 AM
Quote from: Silox on March 02, 2023, 11:53:50 PMWhat are you talking about!=? The area from marker A - marker B are the frames which get saved. If you select just ONE frame only then you have to set marker A at start then you go forward one frame and set marker B and now you have selected one frame only = area between A & B. Now check this new result and you see the one frame in your video. When I do select entire video with A&B marker from start & end then I also do expect to get all frames saved specially in copy mode.
The first half is true, meanwhile you conradicts yourself int the last sentence.
If you set marker B on the last frame as on your screenshots (which is not equivalent to marker B at the end!), the last frame is not included into the selection.

My guess is he is under the misconception that A and B markers fall "between" frames, not "on" frames.
It's simple. If A is on frame 1, and B on frame 10, frames 1 to 9 are saved. The A frame (1) is included, the B frame (10) excluded.

Sark

szlldm

The attached image explains how markers work. If marker B is at :05, the frame starting at :05 will not be included into the selection. (If you set B marker on the last frame, the last frame will be excluded)

Silox

Quote from: szlldm on March 03, 2023, 01:52:11 AMThe first half is true, meanwhile you conradicts yourself int the last sentence.
If you set marker B on the last frame as on your screenshots (
Quote from: szlldm on March 03, 2023, 01:53:34 PMThe attached image explains how markers work. If marker B is at :05, the frame starting at :05 will not be included into the selection. (If you set B marker on the last frame, the last frame will be excluded)
to marker B at the end!), the last frame is not included into the selection.
I understand how the marker works guys, I just don't understand why you said that the LAST frame gets excluded. This makes also no sense. The older version 2.7.5 even does not exclude the last frame and even other video editors don't do that. You should get what you select. Instead of NOT exluding the last frame I can not select you should add a last pseudo frame like VD does.

Example: You have a video with 5 frame like on the image you did post @szlldm. If you want to keep all 5 frames original then you have NOT to use markers in latest ADM because it does not save the last frame as you said. What if I want to have the last frame included and want to use markers as selection part? Not working then. What if I want to cut away the last frame or a area from last frame to pre frames? Also not working when I can not select it in latest version of ADM. All in all it should be always possible to select all frames in a video editor without any strange selfmade custom rules what makes no sense. Also you would get some video edit problems if you cut a loaded video and you then append another video/s etc you know. Otherwise you as user must always keep in mind that ADM works differently and keep attention if you want to cut anything from last area of the video = keeps last frame into = unclean cut because last frame is still there. My opinion.

szlldm

Quote from: Silox on March 03, 2023, 08:25:55 PMWhat if I want to have the last frame included and want to use markers as selection part? Not working then. What if I want to cut away the last frame or a area from last frame to pre frames? Also not working when I can not select it in latest version of ADM.

You just have to reset marker B (Ctrl+Shift+PageDown). Also it is enough to set only marker A if there is no selection yet.
Then the last frame is included.

Quote from: Silox on March 03, 2023, 08:25:55 PMAll in all it should be always possible to select all frames in a video editor without any strange selfmade custom rules what makes no sense.

If you do not make any selection at all, then all frames (entire video) are selected.
The selection tool is for cases where you don't want all the frames. Pretty straightforward.

sark

Quote from: szlldm on March 03, 2023, 01:53:34 PMThe attached image explains how markers work.

The image explains it perfectly. Whilst the markers are at frames 1 & 5, they are at the start of the frames, only 1 to 4 are included within the range.

Quote from: Silox on March 03, 2023, 08:25:55 PMI understand how the marker works guys, I just don't understand why you said that LAST frame gets excluded

You previously stated that selecting the first frame (A) and the next frame (B) would save ONE frame (correct). However, this would be incorrect if ALL selected frames (TWO) were saved, as you are requesting.
This begs the question, if ALL selected frames were included when saving, how would you save ONE frame. Markers A and B would both need to be on the same frame!!!!

Sark

Silox

Quote from: szlldm on March 03, 2023, 11:11:17 PMYou just have to reset marker B (Ctrl+Shift+PageDown). Also it is enough to set only marker A if there is no selection yet.
Then the last frame is included.
When I just set marker A from anywhere then it does set marker B by itself and does select all the rest and does not include the last frame. Only NO selection does it.
Quote from: szlldm on March 03, 2023, 11:11:17 PMIf you do not make any selection at all, then all frames (entire video) are selected.
The selection tool is for cases where you don't want all the frames. Pretty straightforward.
Also in this case the user has NO CHANCE to cut out the LAST FRAME or last keyframe till last frame area (LastKeyframe / frames till last frame *)! Don't you see this guys? Just create any small video with few diffrent frames for each frame and then try it by yourself. The question in this case is how to cut away the last frame? Not doable because there is missing a forward going pseudo frame at the end. If it would be there then you could also select the last frame and cut it out. In this case I also can not do any keyframe cut at the end because I can not select it = info message about keyframe enpoint not in selection etc. If you would add a pseudo frame at the end then you could also select the last frame = correct position of video end and you could cut it via keyframe.

Example: I made short video with 10 diffrent frame images. It only has one start keyframe (I-Frame)(first frame) and the last frame what you can count as keyframe too. As I said before, in case of keyframe cutting you can see the last frame as KF too (I know its not really). In ADM you can not select last frame = you can't do correct keyframe cut from the end or till end and you miss the last keyframe area.

When you load the video in ADM then you can see all frames one by one but as I said before you can not select the last frame because of missing pseudo placeholder frame what you have in VirtualDub (grayed-frame for editing). That means if I want to edit the last visible frame in ADM then it will not work because I can not select it. Just can do it without selection. The only chance to edit the last frame is when just adding another frames to video and then you can also select the first video completely or just from last frame - pre frames. So in my eyes its a bad detour and somehow confusing or the most people. Just look at this new image I made...

...do you see? Just think again about it. Maybe people did think in case of using VirtualDub why its showing always a gray frame at the end but it makes sense of course because of the reason I did told you already. In case of ADM its not showing any pseudo frame = limited in editing with last frame / keyframe area. Anyway, just wonder why I'am the only one again who is seeing that as problem in ADM.

PS: Pseudo frame at the end is just needed to get also the last frame selected (see VD). This get not saved in the video of course because its just a placeholder / marker / pointer whatever you want to call it. But with such a feature you can also select every frame in a video without to exclude anything. Just don't get why you don't check that. Don't get me wrong guys, its not my intention to attack anyone here and just trying to explain my point of view about ADM.

Normally I do use VirtualDub2 to edit videos I do encode at the end but since VD2 its no more possible to do keyframe cuttings (total worse in VD2 / dev Anton don't wanna fix this) what was working in VD1 (just to save in avi container only). Later I was using ADM for keyframe cuttings (2.7.5) which is good for that (except from few problems I told before already etc) and I'am still using it for this task but ADM could be changed to a much better editing tool but unfortunately the will does not seem to be present you know.  :(

szlldm

Quote from: Silox on March 04, 2023, 10:38:13 PMAlso in this case the user has NO CHANCE to cut out the LAST FRAME or last keyframe till last frame area (LastKeyframe / frames till last frame *)! Don't you see this guys? Just create any small video with few diffrent frames for each frame and then try it by yourself. The question in this case is how to cut away the last frame? Not doable because there is missing a forward going pseudo frame at the end.

It is simple. Set marker A at the last frame. That's it.

You cannot view this attachment.

Silox

Quote from: szlldm on March 05, 2023, 12:36:28 AMIt is simple. Set marker A at the last frame. That's it.
Uhhmm!  ;D Ok wait, so now I see I can select that last frame and cut it away just using marker A!? That makes me wonder now. Never have seen that before. Strange, but seems to work now.  :) So that means at the end there must be always one frame left what I can not delete. Just see when I load a video and press just marker A from start position then nothing gets seleted but if I move one frame forward and press marker A then all the rest gets selected. Ok, now I got it. Thank you for that info.  ;) This problem seems to be fixed now. Just need to keep this in my mind when I edit with ADM. Sorry, my fault (hope you don't mind to much).

Another question about wrong / invalid timestamps in videos. Sometimes I get that message if I wanna save the video (when editing is finished / ready to save) and then the video is not saved correctly. Why don't you check this problem about wrong time-stamps when loading the video and print then a info message about possible wrong timestamps etc? Its of course bad to get that info just when I wanna save the video you know, in this case the entire video edit process was for free. Otherwise is there no option in ADM to fix those timestamps on loading? Normally I just need to use ffmpeg in copy mode to fix those problems and then I can also edit this new fixed file in ADM correctly. Would be nice if ADM could do this too on loading etc if possible. Bellow the error message in case of wrong ts's files...
---------------------------
Hinweis
Video zu kurz

Das gespeicherte Video ist unvollständig.
Der Fehler ereignete sich bei 00:00:05,654 (10). Dies kann eine Folge ungĂĽltiger Zeitstempel im Video sein.

Error -22 ("Invalid argument")
OK   

Is there also any method to prevent creating the idx2 files on disk or at all? A option to turn this on/off would be nice. Most videos I just edit once and then I need to delete all those idx2 files manually.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Silox on March 05, 2023, 08:46:52 PMBellow the error message in case of wrong ts's files...

Providing a sample source video with exact steps to reproduce the dts collision might be of some use. Citing the standard error message is useless.

Quote from: Silox on March 05, 2023, 08:46:52 PMIs there also any method to prevent creating the idx2 files on disk or at all?

Making MPEG-TS and MPEG-PS demuxers capable of handling videos stored on read-only media by keeping the index in memory instead of dumping it to an .idx2 text file is on my todo list. MPEG streams are slow to index as there is no central structure to hold the location of data, therefore writing the index to mass storage when this is doable makes a lot of sense for the majority of use cases.