Author Topic: Mojave *only* for 2.72?  (Read 74 times)

honeyko

Mojave *only* for 2.72?
« on: May 22, 2019, 01:34:16 PM »
Are you kidding me? Mojave is still-in-unpaid-user-beta-testing, and most Mac-owners won't be using it until they've upgraded to their next machine (assuming it's still an Apple).

Please release a version for the previous iterations (e.g., at least back to El Capitan, as that's the common platform for Sierra/High Sierra).

eumagga0x2a

Re: Mojave *only* for 2.72?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 05:37:14 AM »
"osx_mojave" means the builds are generated on Mojave, not that they don't run on older macOS versions, which is hoped for (I have no testing capabilities other than 10.14.x, the author of Avidemux might have some).

honeyko

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
"osx_mojave" means the builds are generated on Mojave, not that they don't run on older macOS versions, which is hoped for (I have no testing capabilities other than 10.14.x, the author of Avidemux might have some).
Although 2.72 doesn't have the "x" through its icon (usual when denoting incompatibility), it auto-quits before displaying anything if launched in El Capitan. (So: bug-submission, I guess.)

As far as testing platforms go, put it on a USB flash-stick and try is on any 2006-to-2014 era machine. (You can find used, El Capitan-capable core2 macbooks on Craigslist for well under $150, depending on where you live. They're handy toys that won't depreciate much, and are ideal for this sort of backward-compatibility thing.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:27:13 PM by honeyko »

eumagga0x2a

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 05:34:02 PM »
Although 2.72 doesn't have the "x" through its icon (usual when denoting incompatibility), it auto-quits before displaying anything if launched in El Capitan. (So: bug-submission, I guess.)

First of all, 2.7.2 is obsolete, we are long past 2.7.3 and very much pre-2.7.4, that is why I posted a link to the location where official nightly builds for macOS are uploaded to. Please launch the latest nightly from the Terminal and post the error message.

Code: [Select]
/Applications/Avidemux_2.7.3.app/Contents/MacOS/Avidemux2.7
As far as testing platforms go, put it on a USB flash-stick and try is on any 2006-to-2014 era machine. (You can find used, El Capitan-capable core2 macbooks on Craigslist for well under $150, depending on where you live. They're handy toys that won't depreciate much, and are ideal for this sort of backward-compatibility thing.)

Unfortunately, this won't happen due to my limited time resources and different priorities. Additionally, if a build turns out to be not backward-compatible, there is nothing I could do about it other than just knowing the fact. El Capitan is already out of regular support by Homebrew, required to build Avidemux. If you manage to get brew installed and working, you could pretty easily build Avidemux yourself.

brew install cmake nasm yasm qt@5.9 xvid x264 x265 opus fdk-aac lame mad libass mp4v2 a52dec
(the list might be incomplete) should install the dependencies. Please note that current qt versions require macOS 10.12, so the legacy qt@5.9 would be the only option.

git clone https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2.git
cd avidemux2
git checkout ffmpeg4x

If

bash bootStrapOsx_Sierra.bash --with-system-libass --with-system-liba52 --with-system-libmad --with-system-libmp4v2
succeeds, an Avidemux DMG file will be created in the "installer" subdirectory of "avidemux2".